Benjamin Cameron

After lunch Joey brought our bags in and gave me a tour of the house, well entire Estate actually. The main house is like three houses in one. While each wing had it's own living spaces, it seemed everyone liked to gather in the communal area as one.

Joey's room is more like a suit, with a couch, bedroom, bathroom and a large balcony that held a view of the expansive gardens. Harper has an identical room on the other side of the house.

We took a walk around the gardens, the guesthouse and his grandfathers cottages were both bigger than my childhood home. I still couldn't fathom how one family could be so rich, yet so kind and humble. It goes against every cliche about the rich.

The estate even has its own half court basketball ring, next to it was a tennis court and large swimming pool. Joey explained that Ryder and Cooper also played and their dads enjoyed shooting hoops to de-stress too, so it wasn't just for him, it ran in the family.

Late in the afternoon, after we had finally settled Joey wanted to take a shower, so I decided to catch up with Harper. As I made my way across the house, I took the opportunity to have a look at the family photos I glimpsed at in the hallway when we first arrived that morning.

I stood looking at the happy moments this large family had shared. There was young Harper and Joey on the beach, all six kids at Easter with chocolate smeared across their faces, the twins in their cheer uniforms, and the boys in basketball uniforms. I was admiring a photo of Joey around the age of 10 ice-cream in his left hand, holding his grandfathers hand with the right.

"That was after his first day of middle school. He had been so nervous about making new friends and fitting in. David worked in Tucson for two years and they just moved back here that summer. He was fine of course, always the centre of attention, so he had no trouble making new friends. But I promised him ice-cream once he made it through the day. I think he was happier to spend time with family than get ice-cream. Family is very important to him," Benjamin Cameron stood next to me, referring to the photo I was looking at.

"These photo's are all so beautiful. One of the first things Harper and Joey told me is how much they value family. I can see it everywhere in this house," I looked over at him offering a small smile.

"I'll be straight with you Morgan, I know all about your family history."

I paled slightly, my heart beat picked up. This was going to be the moment I feared, where I'm told to stay away, that I'm not good enough for the Cameron family. I looked at him, slightly wide eyed.

"You do? I'm nothing like her, I despise her in fact. I know you probably think I'm not good enough for Joey, I think that too-"

"Morgan," he cut me off, speaking my name softly. "Let me explain properly. You obviously know I have quite a lot to protect, so I want you to know it's not that I don't trust my grandchildren and who they chose to associate with."

"I get that. I would look me up too if I were in your position. I didn't even know how well off both Joey and Harper were when I first got to know them. I can assure you, I'm not here for your money. I know how it looks, with my mother and her... history."

"I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind at first. But then I know how humble my grandchildren can be," he admitted.
"I haven't told my son about your mother. I assume Joey and Harper know?"

"They know all about me. I'm not one to hide things like they are a great big secret. If you or David asked me straight, I would tell you all about her. Probably more than any report on me could find out," I looked him in the eye.

"I know I'm not from money, I had a less than perfect childhood, my mother, well she's not really a mother, never has been. I have cut her from my life you know, I've worked hard for what I have and still do every single day. I have plans for myself, none of them include going back to where I came from."