Momma Knows

The next few days at the Cameron Estate were spent playing basketball with the boys, watching movies with the girls, board games with everyone and one day Harper and I nearly destroyed the kitchen trying to bake cookies for everyone. We need a bit more practise or a little less distractions from the boys. We were relegated to practising our baking skills in one of the other kitchens after that.

It's our last full day before we have to go back to college. The boys have training starting again and I have shifts at The Busy Bean. Harper is coming back mostly to spend time with Ethan before classes and assignments take over our lives again. In the last week the two of them have grown closer than ever, leaving Ryan as a clear third wheel, which he didn't fail to point out many times.

I have loved spending my time with the Cameron's, but I am looking forward to seeing Ali and having a little less parental supervision, even if it means going back to a rock hard mattress after the best sleeps of my life this last week.

The morning sun is warm, especially for the 1st December. Joey, Ryan, Ethan and I were playing a game of 2 on 2. Harper had gone for a run around the property while we played, she had been slacking off on her track practise while back home. I wish I could say the boys went easy on me, but they didn't.

We played Joey and I vs Ryan and Ethan. Probably not the smartest of teams because both Joey and I were excellent shots, but defence was our weakness, Ethan was a strong defender, Ryan fell somewhere in the middle. The scores were tight, with thanks to both our 3 point shot skills, but in the end my lack of fitness caused us to lose. Much to the delight of Ethan and Ryan, who took pleasure in gloating about their win.

"I'm out, I'm done. You've ruined me!" I exclaimed, collapsing onto the picnic table that sat beside the half court in the backyard.

Joey laughed, throwing me a bottle of water. "We've gotta work on your fitness babe."

"Surely with the amount you two screw you would have better fitness," Ryan laughs and I flip him off.

"Fuck off Ryan, you're just dirty you aren't getting any!" I retort.

"I've got plenty of ass waiting for me back at school. Might call Ali first, what do you think?"

"That she'd rather stay chlamydia free!"

"Ok kids, settle down," Joey interrupts knowing that Ryan and I can really dig into each other if he doesn't stop us. "Want to do some of the drills coach gave us for the break?" He asks the boys.

"Yeah man," Ethan replies for both of them.

The boys get up to continue with their basketball while I take the opportunity to watch and catch my breath, shooting Ryan a glare as he walks away smirking.

I'm not alone for long. Unexpectedly, Sophia sits beside me at the table. In fitness gear herself, a look I hadn't seen her in but am not surprised. You don't get to look as good as she does if you don't put in the effort.

"Hey," I say as she sits, taking another drink of my water.

"Morning sweetie. How was your game?"

"They slaughtered me!" I laughed, "Those boys don't go easy on me just because I'm female, that's for sure!"

She laughs, "That's because they know your a good shot. They are also very competitive."

"It's good. I'd rather be treated as an equal. I'm just not fit enough to keep up with them. It's been years since I played properly," I explained.

"So you used to play?" She asked curiously. She wasn't prying, rather getting to know me better.

"Has Joey told you anything about my childhood, besides what I already told you?" I ask.