Bonus Chapter 2

This is it. This moment might finally change our lives forever. I'm a day late, and I have never been late in my life, 28 day cycle practically like clockwork. Yet for all the clockwork and all the apparently perfectly working parts of our bodies, conceiving a child had not been so easy.

You know in high school when they tell you how if you have unprotected sex you will get pregnant? It's not actually that easy for everyone. We spend teen years hoping to not get pregnant and then when we actually want to, it just doesn't happen. It's damn stressful feeling like something is wrong with one or both of our bodies.

We started trying, but not trying three months before our wedding. Basically, we gave up any sort of protection and just hoped it might happen. But it didn't. Then two months after we were were married, it still hadn't happened and I started to wonder what was wrong. We booked doctors appointments and got checked, both young and healthy, the doctors had no answers for why we weren't falling pregnant, keep trying they said. It will happen when it's meant to, they said.

The next two months, I can admit I went a little crazy. Every moment was dedicated to tracking my body and my cycle. I researched anything and everything to do with conceiving, I joined online groups of other women also obsessing. I was drowning in ovulation kits and I even changed our diets. It was all I thought about all day and everyday. I even wrote a sex schedule, which bless his soul, Joey complied with.

That was until Aunt flow arrived after those two months and Joey found me in the bathroom hugging a hot water bottle for my cramps and crying with uncontrollable sobs. I was a mess. I'll admit, I lost my mind for a bit there and in all honesty the stress was probably going against us.

That night Joey collected up all the ovulation test kits, the calendars, deleted the apps from my phone and demanded that we were having a month off from trying. A month for us. He booked two weeks in the Bahamas and scheduled in some leave time for both of us. I'm almost ashamed to admit that in all my craziness I had lost sight of us as a couple. I needed Joey to ground me.

Now, home from our holiday and diving back into work with a wedding booked this weekend I needed to sort out the final details  for, I had lost track of days until the one app I still had sent a notification this morning, letting me know I was late.

So here I was in the bathroom, three tests and a cup of my own pee in hand. They also don't tell you about how unflattering taking pregnancy tests is. I dip the three separate tests in, because an odd number would surely be more accurate if one of them happened to be different to the other two. Maths.

Not wanting to watch, I leave them there and walk out of the bathroom, fluff the blanket on our bed, straighten out the pillows, pick up Joey's dirty socks and try not to think about the pink lines. Deciding it must have been two minutes by now, I walk back into the bathroom.

I see them before I've even taken two steps, all three tests have two dark lines.

Probably a good thing no one was around to see the dorkiest happy dance I've ever done, followed by the tears, and then some more dancing. The smile never leaving my face.

Waiting for Joey to get home was complete hell. I wanted to call him and tell him to come home early, but that might make him panic. I wanted to call Harper and Ali and tell them the news, but I knew I had to tell Joey first. All I wanted to do was scream from the rooftops that it finally happened!

Instead, I cleaned the house from top to bottom, even though we have a cleaner come in once a week. I rearranged my Tupperware cupboard, because we all know how incredibly unorganised a cupboard full of containers can get in a short amount of time! I even cleared out our wardrobe of old
clothes for goodwill.