You Surprise Me

At exactly 8pm I arrive at the front of the brown house that Joey calls home. I don't know why I'm so nervous. Maybe because the last time I was here I woke up in Joey's bed after getting drunk in front of all his teammates.

They would know who I am.

Maybe it's because, despite how much of a jackass he can be, Joey makes me nervous. He isn't meant to have the effect on me, no one is. This is meant to be my time.

I take a deep breath and walk up the stairs, knocking confidently on the door. Joey had text me while I was at dinner, letting me know that he was home and that he would see me at 8. 'His bedroom ;)' he had said.

"Hello pretty young freshman standing at our door," the guy opening the door said. I vaguely recognised him as the beer pong guy.

"Hey, I'm Morgan. I think we met, umm I'm here to meet Joey," I said, my voice wavering slightly as I tried to remain cool, calm and collected.

As soon as I mentioned Joey's name though, he smirked.

"Ah yes, I remember you. Harper's friend. I'm Ethan. Come in, he's up in his room. I assume you remember your way?" He asked smugly.

"Actually no. Before you get any ideas, I'm here for our assignment," I said sternly, not needing or wanting any rumours getting around about Joey and I.

"Yeah, an assignment. That's what they all say. Up the stairs, last door on the right," he gives directions to the room.

"I'm not that kind of girl," I try again, holding up my books in my hands trying to make a point.

Before I head up the stairs I take a glance around the room, seeing three guys on the couch watching a basketball game on TV, getting excited and loud. Another two were spread with books all over the dining table, they didn't even look up as I entered. In the kitchen was another guy, he smiled kindly at me, I nervously returned his smile, happy that at least one guy in this house wasn't a smug, cocky jock.

Silently I made my way upstairs, feeling the butterflies in my stomach. This whole scenario is so out of my comfort zone and not something I have experienced before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a confident girl. Sure I had been to my exes houses, but it was always with them and I knew them well beforehand. This was college now, a house full of testosterone and I was meeting a guy that so far we hadn't gotten along all that great.

Reaching the landing, I looked up ready to find the last door on the right. I didn't have to look very hard because standing in his doorway was Joey. Cocky as ever, leaning against the door frame, arms crossed across his chest, one leg crossed over the other and a small grin on his beautiful face. His eyes were dancing with mischief.

Damn him. Why can't he be ugly? It would make this a whole lot easier. Instead I feel the butterflies intensify, not just in my stomach, but lower too.

I tried to remind myself that I'm here for my education, it doesn't matter how good looking he is. How his bright blue eyes shine, how his t-shirt clings to him in all the right places, his sweatpants sitting low on his hips. What I wouldn't give to wrap my arms-

"Morgan," he greets with a nod, scanning his eyes up and down my body and instantly stopping my thoughts I shouldn't be having anyway.

I was only wearing jeans and a loose sweater, deliberately dressing casual. I walk towards his room, following him inside as he closes the door behind us.

"Joey," I greet in return.

"Come on in. The desk is a little cramped, so you might want to take the bed," he says casually and I can't help but note he seems to have lost the cocky tone a little now that it is just the two of us in his room.