You play?

On Thursday's my classes finished later. I had agreed to meet Harper outside my last class as she had a study group in the library on Thursday afternoons, then we would walk back to the dorm together to drop our books off before getting dinner.

Walking out the door of the lecture theatre I looked around, spotting her waiting for me by the wall, totally engrossed in her phone.

"Hey girl!" I greeted her as I approached.

She glanced up as I stopped beside her, huffing and rolling her eyes at her phone before locking it and putting it away.

"Hey! How was your day?" She asks as we began walking.

"Nothing noteworthy today. I'm enjoying classes so far though, how about you?"

"Classes were fine, work is piling up though. In more exciting news, my mom sent a package today, it's full of homemade sweets so I hope you have a sweet tooth because she sent extra for you too!" She said gesturing to the box in her hand that I hadn't noticed till now.

My eyes lit up at the idea of homemade cakes. It was something I had rarely had the privilege to enjoy, only occasionally at Ali's house after a family event. My mom didn't cook anymore, I cooked to eat rather than enjoy. Usually I was working too much, or just actively avoiding home too.

"That's so thoughtful of her! I can't wait to try some," I said genuinely, my mouth already watering at the thought. My mother certainly wouldn't be sending any packages to me and that sent a small pang of jealousy through me. Not because of my mother herself, but the idea of a caring mother.

"Oh it's nothing. She loves it. There's also some for Joey," Harper said quickly, as though ripping off a bandaid. "I hope you don't mind if we drop his package to him? I was just texting him and he is at the stadium getting in some warm ups before training actually starts."

"I don't mind. We turned a new leaf while starting our assignment. Like, we can be in the same room without hurling insults," I shrugged, remembering how much he surprised me. We had a deeper conversation than I ever expected, but it ended awkwardly and I haven't actually seen him since.

"Oh?" Harper raised her eyebrows at me.

"Don't give me that look. I'm just saying that we got along enough to do our assignment. I'm not about to jump into bed with him!" I defended.

Harper didn't say anything in reply, she just nodded and continued walking with a small grin planted on her face. I chose not to say anymore either, hoping this would be the last I hear on the topic.

Within a few minutes we had arrived at the large indoor stadium where the basketball courts were. The boys trained and played here, using the courts and also the gym that was attached for workout sessions. Though they had to share the gym with the footballers, baseballers, lacrosse team and basically every other team on campus.

We made our way inside the quiet foyer and through to the courts where I could already hear the sound of a basketball being bounced, then hitting the backboard before the sweet sound of the net. Sometimes we didn't hear the backboard, just bouncing then net. It made me miss playing, a sense of longing aching deep in my heart. Memories of my childhood surfacing.

I followed Harper as she somehow knew exactly where to go. There was an open door and we walked through that, down a small walkway, then out to the courts where Joey was alone.

As soon as I lay eyes on him, I had to remind myself to breath. He was shirtless, just wearing his basketball shorts, sweat glistening on his perfectly sculpted body. His damp hair swept to the side to keep it off his face. He looked like a god. Even I'm not immune to such a fine specimen.