Partners

The first week of campus life flew by. We didn't have proper classes, they were optional 'get to know you' classes. I attended the first few, then decided I would work out the rest later.

The RA's had tonnes of activities for us, but I chose to work some extra hours instead while I had the free time. Sandra was more than obliging, using the week to teach me all the little things about the busy bean and I always need the extra money.

Now it was Monday and I had my first proper class of the semester, small business management. I arrived five minutes before the class started, finding a seat in the middle row.

There were a few other students here before me, but most arrived with only a minute or two to spare. They would hurry in with a take away coffee in hand, dumping their bags and slumping into seats next to their friends.

I got my laptop out ready to take notes. As I was waiting for it to boot up so I could log in, I noticed two students entering the lecture theatre, whom I recognised. Two confident, tall and dare I say, very good looking students. Joey and Ryan.

I watched as a group of girls giggled and waved at them as they walked past. I noticed most of the females of the class were staring, also noticing how good looking they are.

They ignored the stares and giggles as they made their way down the row directly behind me. Ryan noticed me first as they sat down.

"Hey roomie, you a business student? Totally thought you were more the journalism type," Ryan said.

"Ryan. Joey." I said, nodding my head but not acknowledging the question asked, as it would be typical of them to pigeon hole females into majors like journalism and arts.

"I'm not surprised she's in this class. Something tells me there's a lot more to our little Morgan than meets the eye," Joey said, talking to Ryan, but obviously wanting me to hear it too.

I smiled to myself, knowing how right he was, but refusing to indulge in their conversation.

The boys didn't have a chance to say anything more as the lecturer arrived, immediately hushing the class.

He was a middle aged man, probably in his 40's bringing a sense of authority to the class and instantly commanding respect from his students.

"Good Morning everyone, welcome to Small Business management, my name is Professor Gregory Hammond, but you can all just call me Greg or Mr. Hammond. Now, I see we have a mix of freshman looking to boost up their course load and sophomores, as this is a second year subject. Small business may not be what you are aiming for, but this class will teach you so much more than that, whether you are doing a business degree or accounting, I hope this class will open your eyes. Some of you may have read the course outline, probably most haven't. There is one major assessment for this class, you will create a business plan for a small business. Sounds simple right? I have paired you all up already and assigned an industry, there is no swapping. There is a mix of industries, some will have hospitality, trade, retail etcetera." He flutters his hands around while listing off possibilities and taking a deep breath.

"Throughout the semester you will use the weekly lectures to gain knowledge and together with your partner build the business plan. There will be hurdle assessments due every few weeks. So, when I call your names you can come down and retrieve your folder with your industry and some initial information, then we will begin today's lecture."

I looked around the room, seeing no one I knew except for Joey and Ryan beside me. I was sat by myself as it seemed most in this class were in fact sophomores. Surely the chances of me being paired with a stranger were far higher than either of the guys behind me.