CHAPTER FOURTY TWO: QUEEN ARWEN'S STAGE

It is time now

It is time now. Time for her performance. The thing she's been dreading. She feels sick to her stomach with nervousness. Arwen would throw up but Cierra would punish her even more harshly than she would if she fails - just for the sheer humiliation.

She must not fail. She cannot.

Her eyes are still wide with fright as Cierra smiles but gives her an unspoken message, a promise of the pain that will follow if Arwen doesn't complete the task to Cierra's satisfaction.

Arwen gulps again, trying to keep herself calm but her hands begin shaking. The panic threatens to overwhelm her. She's being called up now but she barely hears the command, she tries to take step forward but her legs have frozen. She can't move.

She tries to slow her breathing and stop shaking but she can't and it keeps getting worst. She can't do this. She can't.

Just as she spins and goes to bolt, she feels a warm hand clasp hers and squeezes it in comfort. Arwen turns her head slowly and sees Ebony there, standing next to her with a warm smile on her face.

It instantly makes her feel better, to have the only guardian who ever truly cared for her there, excluding Hecate Murtra of course.

Ebony holds eye contact with Arwen who suddenly has the strength to use her gift. So Arwen uses her own gift on herself, feeling all her negative emotions flood away as if they'd been pulled out from her. Like a flower plucked from its roots suddenly.

It is a strange sensation and almost shocks her for she does not use her gift often for lessening or heightening emotions is always temporary - and it takes too much strength to be done regularly, even by Arwen.

Then Arwen feels quite odd for a moment as a burst of confidence blooms and fills every inch of her body with a newfound positivity. It is strange she doesn't know what to make of it.

Then she feels her shadow purr from deep inside her, her monster just begging to come and out and play. With this newfound sense of confidence and control, she embraces the darkness purring within her and yields to her shadows willingly.

Her monster sighs. It has been so long since it has tasted the fresh sweet embrace of air. It's been so lonely buried deep down into a cage of light built years ago but now it has been unlocked. Now it is free. Now it will take over. So the monster puts its head back and then opens its onyx eyes and then begins the performance.

——

Eagerly the island waits in anticipation as every eye at the Quickening is fixated on the Shadow Queen.

It has been eons since the island last saw one and some more pious islanders and priestesses even make a pious gesture as they almost feel the presence of the Goddess in their mist. Even the mythical being herself is eager to see the power of one of her rarest daughters. Maybe that is why her heart beats more strongly on this night, though none would notice unless they had visited the Breccia Domain. And no sane islander would dare do that. Not even for the thrill or curiosity - not even for performing a little low magic. But Beltane with all its fire, lust and celebrations makes fools of everyone.