CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT

Rowan oils down his chest and sharpens his weapons as he prepares for the Hunt

It is a sacred tradition that he now has the chance to participate in now he's come of age.  Kaiden, who's doing the same opposite him, is also allowed to participate. 

The naturalists are always the most successful clan with big bounties of fish and meat. Kaiden always loves to boast of his kin's superiority where hunting is involved; he especially loves to boast when Nimue is around. Though Rowan doesn't know why as Nimue may act like a warrior but she is a strong naturalist herself, she knows of their abilities to use the gift with hunting animals.

Both of them are part of his cadre along with Morrigan and no matter how much they both deny it, it's painfully obvious to Rowan and Morrigan the feelings both Nimue and Kaiden harbour for each other. 

"Pass me the flask brother," Kaiden calls from across the room, reaching his bare arm out, careful not to knock over the oil lamp that keeps the tent light in the evening. 

Rowan puts down his weapons for a moment, reaching for the flask of water and tosses it to Kaiden's outstretched hand, which catches it effortlessly. 

Kaiden takes a long swig of water before setting it down as a bead of sweat trickles down his face as his expression becomes worried. 

"On second thought, is there any wine?" Kaiden asks, smoothing his dark blonde hair back before letting out a nervous laugh, "I think I may need it before I go to ask Nimue to paint some symbols on me for the Hunt." 

Ah. So the night has made him bolder than usual. Rowan smirks, shaking his head as he passes Kaiden a jug of fresh wine. 

Kaiden pours himself a large glass before downing it completely making a slight face as he swallows all the contents.

Finally he slams the empty glass back down to the nearby table and looks up with a mask of confidence on his face. 

"I'm going over to ask her now before I lose my nerves," Kaiden says, nervousness heavy in his tone as he shows a bit of vulnerability to his best friend.

"I don't think losing your nerves is your top priority because after you go and talk to Nimue you might lose your balls instead," Rowan says laughing. 

Kaiden gulps, his slightly drunken confidence diminishing slightly, 

"Yes I'm rather attached to my balls so losing them would be a problem," Kaiden says, trying to lighten up the mood and calm his own anxiety. 

Suddenly he nods and a determined look settles on his face, 

"I'm off to face certain doom now brother," Kaiden says solemnly, "wish me luck." 

Then he leaves the tent, a confident step in his walk. 

Rowan smiles, rolling his eyes, sharpening his weapons one last time. Good luck to Kaiden. Confronting the likes of Nimue Murtra can be a dangerous task indeed.