CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: THE DISEMBARKING

The wind howls around Nalani, blowing her hair back in a wild storm of black

The wind howls around Nalani, blowing her hair back in a wild storm of black. But she does not mind it, she welcomes the elements caressing her skin and elementals never truly get cold and even though she wears a sleeveless dress she still does not feel cold as she walks forward. 

Nalani is the last queen to take her place on top of the rocky cliffs for the Disembarking for she took a long time while walking on the path through the meadow much to Vivianne's annoyance as all the Westwoods continued to hurry her as they accompanied her. Everyone else has assembled on the beach below her, their faces all illuminated with lit torches that keep burning at the same pace thanks to her fellow elementals. She wishes she could've been the one to control the torches rather than having to stand here and wait for the suitors to row to shore. The torches are silly really because they aren't really necessary, as it is just passed sunset. 

But in a few hours the Quickening will begin and then the torches will definitely be needed. Those hours in between each ceremony will allow sufficient time for everyone to feast and for the queen to change if they wish. The priestesses and Black Council will also make the necessary preparations on the beach for the Quickening and her sister's poison feast will be checked. Though Nalani supposes that is not really necessary either, she has heard tales of Carina's strength and great resistance to toxins. There was a rumour that on her birthday the feast wasn't poison but Nalani does not believe in such rumours. She doubts its truth and accuracy. 

She takes her place on the makeshift pavilion and looks down at the people below. They all smile but in reality most are bloodthirsty savages who love to see sister kill sister. The monsters of the island all see her and smile, some cheering though they are soon silenced by the glares coming from the Arrons. The poisoners and the shadows are the only ones who do not clap or cheer for her but the rest of the island is eating from her palm. Instead with the shadows and poisoners, she's greeted by their scowls but she does not mind, she sends a wicked smirk of her own back down on them and some look away from her. 

Smiling in satisfaction she takes the opportunity to look at her sisters. 

At the front and centre stands Arwen, the epitome of darkness and shadow in appearance, especially as she is surrounded by Radurons yet Nalani sees her expression.

It is quite blank strangely, with an echo of sadness and her eyes don't glitter with the sinister malice that Nalani is expecting. Interesting. Arwen's eyes only stare straight ahead in determination to find something or someone. Probably that suitor that everyone says she has around her little finger. The one that Vivianne had raged about because he did not visit Rolanth or meet her. But Nalani doesn't much care, especially not for her sister's little lapdog, she doesn't care if he's a Valostran royal. Rowan has been keeping her company and satisfied. She doesn't need a silly suitor for that.

Arwen is beautiful, there is no doubt about that, it is no wonder that suitor lost his heart in a matter of months to her. Her cheeks are rosy in a permanent blush, the cosmetics highlight her features, her light skin is like pearls, perfect with no imperfection, her nose is thin and perfect while her lips are plump and pink. Everything is perfectly in proportion. Her long black hair gleams a little too brightly and her smile looks too stiff, but it isn't a real smile, only a pitiful attempt at one. Her expression is the only imperfection.