CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE: UMBRA

Ebony and Arwen both stand in the temple of Umbra, a place of grand pillars, of pristine white and black marble, shadowfyre candles that are constantly burning in the air with premium incenses

shadowfyre candles that are constantly burning in the air with premium incenses. And decorated with opulent black statues of all the shadow Queens of Old. The statues along with Queen Arwen and Ebony stand watching the body of Cierra Raduron up upon a raised black marble surface.

It is a cold grand place, all the minor priestesses shuffling around in white robes and their superiors in black. Umbra is the only city that allows priestesses to keep their gifts and the only ones whose superior priestesses wear queens blacks - in honour of the Goddess they say.

After Cierra was found, murdered in the home of a Raduron different estate she had been visiting, Ebony bid her body be taken to the temple and prepared for her shadowfyre burning and the laying of her ashes to rest.

All the servants at the residence at the time are still in Draven Mansion, Ebony has been torturing them herself along with her cousin Orpheus. Yet none have revealed anything. Though Ebony is not inherently malicious, she is determined, Arwen knows that she will not stop until she gets an answer.

The Head Priestess Leonine has just finished stitching the gaps in her former guardian. So many puncture wounds. Her face is the only thing recognisable, the only thing left untouched. A shame, Arwen thinks, if I had killed her I would've destroyed her vanity completely.

"They took their time about it, and must have immobilised her in some way I would suggest as there are no signs of resistance in her wounds," Leonine says, her voice monotonous as she begins washing her hands in the basin of water next to her. Arwen watches with a twisted fascination as the blood starts to stain the water, fusing into it.

"How many stab wounds did you count?" Ebony asks wearily, her silver hair uncharacteristically plain and unbound, wearing robes of crimson already.

"Forty six," Leonine clips, looking at Ebony strangely for a moment with an uncharacteristic tenderness, "I am sorry for your loss my lady but you cannot think too much of it, her suffering is over, she is with our Goddess now."

The priestess gives Ebony a small smile before stepping down from the dais, leaving the two by Cierra. Ebony makes a pious symbol, pressing a kiss into her sister's frozen hand, now cleaned off the blood, "yes she is with the Goddess now," she agrees, letting a single tear fall before turning her face back to Arwen grimly.

"I know you hated her Arwen and that I alone mourn my sister but thank you for coming with me today," Ebony says, pressing a kiss against Arwen's cheek.

"You're welcome Ebony," Arwen replies, her voice hoarse. She has not used it properly for a week, only to shout in those first few days after he died, "I know you cared for your sister and though it is painful, I am happy that you now lead the shadows."