CHAPTER FOURTEEN: UMBRA

Song inspiration: Beauty of the Dark ~ Mads Langer

Arwen brushes her little sister's hair as they sit in their bedroom at the Black Cottage

"Ow," Carina complains, looking up at Arwen, "Arwen, you said that you would use a hairbrush this time." 

Arwen smiles, in a sinister way before she goes back to brushing her sister's long straight black hair, 

"But Rina, a knife gets the knots out so much better," she says as she cuts out another chunk of Carina's hair out, adding to the odd bald patches on her head and few layers of bloodied skin that lie out her feet, like fallen red autumn leaves. 

"Arwen, you're not brushing it through enough," Carina whines, "I still feel knots everywhere, next time I'm getting Nalani to do it for me." 

Both sisters look to Nalani who is slumped over at the other side of the room, she looks perfectly fine except for the dark black holes where her ears should've been, lines of dried blood coming from the holes are down either side of her face and hair; her missing ears lie next to her. 

"Nalani won't be much better," Arwen snaps, "when I brushed her hair she kept moving so instead of brushed hair she got cut ears." 

Carina nods and sits quietly and doesn't dare to move. Arwen smiles,  "Now that's much better, " she says as she begins to cut scalp now instead of hair, "I'm going to brush it more tightly now." 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Arwen screams as she wakes up from her nightmare. She sits up quickly, panting heavily as tears stream down her face. She grabs her hair to see if it's still there, stroking it in relief when she feels her soft smooth hair. Looking around frantically, Arwen feels for her hairbrush on her bedside table and sighs in relief when she sees that it is just her normal hairbrush and not the knife in her bad dream.  Tears still stream down her face as she hugs her knees and just cries uncontrollably. She just wants the nightmares to go away, she needs the memories of them to leave her. For they are ghosts to her and they can't stop haunting her.

But the ghosts of the past are nothing compared to the monster that lurks beneath her skin, the darkness that fuels her shadow gift. It constantly torments her but after all these years she has learnt to lock that monster deep down in a stony cage. She knew long ago that her innocence was lost when she realised she was no longer afraid of the darkness surrounding her. Instead, Arwen she discovered that she fears the darkness inside her.

She hates herself sometimes, she feels so empty. Wouldn't it be easy to end it all now? Kill herself and save her sisters the bother.

Then she could spite the Goddess and finally sleep peacefully without any nightmares. 

Her door is suddenly thrown open forcefully and Klaude rushes in, his face as frantic as hers, except his face conveys frantic worry.

Of course he came, his rooms are the closest to hers unfortunately while Cierra and Ebony's chambers are at the other end of the mansion and it's an incredibly enormous property.