CHAPTER SEVEN: PRYNN

Sheshu slowly slithers around Queen Carina's shoulders, her scales are the only source of comfort for Carina as she reflects on what has happened and what is to come

A few days ago she participated in the Gave Noir which was a success until one poisoner turned the tables completely, making it swiftly turn into a disaster. The foolish poisoner girl had her hand chopped off by order of the Arrons soon after for the crime of stealing from the scared Queen's birthday Gave Noir and Pele Murtra, Head of the Black Council, had to agree due to the laws set down generations ago when the Arrons ruled on the Council. In truth the worst crime the girl committed
was more for exposing the Arrons weakness. Her weakness.

Not all the poisoners blame Carina but most now think her gift is flawed and that is something Carina cannot bear.

"I am not weak," she says angrily, voicing her inner thoughts. It helps her concentrate and form plans but she only does it in her own company, excluding Sheshu, because they would call her mad. It is a small thing but any bit of gossip can sour a queen's reputation. It is not a precedent that is good to set. Mad queens are disposed of, Queen Elsabet, the oracle queen, is proof enough of that. 

To distract herself she carefully opens her new testing bird's onyx cage and feeds it bird food that has been combined with her latest creation of poison, laced with Sheshu's toxic venom with small traces of oleander and hemlock. 

Sheshu hisses, her tongue poking out as she eyes up the bird, Carina turns her head to face Sheshu, who's still draped across her shoulders. She shoots Sheshu a warning look and the snake's tongue retracts and she hisses as if she is sulking. 

The little bird happily chirps away, pecking at the seeds and swallowing them with no hesitation, it is completely oblivious of what is to come.  Smirking at the small bluebird, she carefully latches the cage with her smooth nimble fingers, and then walks away from the cage, still bubbling with quiet anger at the Gave Noir.

Sheshu slithers from her shoulders around her arm and Carina holds her arm up so that they may face each other, though it takes a great deal of effort as Sheshu is such a large viper. 

"I am no mouse and I am more poisoner than all of them put together and I will cut down anyone and anything who thinks I am weak," she says, stroking Sheshu's head as she often does and Sheshu's pointed tongue flickers out in response. 

Carina smiles wickedly and continues talking to herself and Sheshu, "I cannot wait to see the reactions on their faces when I kill my sisters," she pauses, her smile growing more sinister by the second, "and I cannot wait to see the fear and surprise in their eyes when I kill them and claim my birthright and my power."

Still smiling, Carina glances back to her bird cage and sees the frail little thing dead on the floor of the cage, though still twitching uncontrollably. 

The poison works quickly and efficiently. Good. 

She is startled when the door is opened and Andrea Arron walks in and the room, which was freezing before, impossibly drops a few degrees lower making goosebumps rise up all over Carina's pale arms. She holds her head high, showcasing her strength and dignity, even when her icy eyes show a glimmer defeat under the facade of triumph.