CHAPTER FOURTY NINE: PRYNN

"It is officially the Ascension," Andrea says with a red lipped smile

"It is officially the Ascension," Andrea says with a red lipped smile. Cosmetics all over her face as is the trend with all her dinner guests. All in finery with happy expressions at the notion of hope that Queen Carina brings to their futures.

They all celebrate their possible prospects, especially as Andrea is eager to put Beltane behind her. And she doesn't have to worry about Cierra's little plan to assassinate her anymore, Ebony told her that Cierra put a hold on her plans after all the chaos. So, Andrea did the same. It is an interesting game her and Cierra play. To see who kills the other first.

But for now everyone is focused on one thing. Carina killing her sisters.

In fact the people around this table are so ambitious and ruthless that Nalani and Arwen may find themselves with a poisoned blade at their throats held by one of the Arrons. Ambitious yes but also hopelessly desperate - Carina knows they will do anything to ensure her reign, even cheat during the Ascension which is a crime punishable by death. Except the Arrons wouldn't get caught, not when their sleight of hand is masterful - a little poisoner trick they were all taught as children.

Tonight however is just a family dinner. With the exception of one guest, Melinda Marlowe - a spy of Andrea's who has infiltrated Umbra. Not that there's much to report expect Queen Arwen and that dory suitor's obvious affections for each other.  Andrea wonders faintly if she can use that to her advantage. Always working an angle is how she operates.

The dinner itself is also to discuss plans, strategies and celebrate this landmark in history - the first steps to Queen Carina's reign. To restoring poisoner power.

They will take back their positions on the Black Council and take back their city of Indrid Down. It belonged to them for generations. Andrea still remember the tales that her spiteful great grandmother, Genevieve, always spoke of when Andrea was a little girl.

Recalling the days of both Queen Camille, Katharine the Undead and Queen Arsinoe. The old crone technically lived to see three queen crowned sit on the island's throne and sat on the Black Council of both Katharine and Arsinoe. Even if Katharine's reign was only short.

Nobody even speaks of the assassination attempt and Carina is glad. It is best to move on. Especially since the perpetrator has been slain by Carina's hand. She took that responsibility as a queen.

Funnily enough people are more sympathetic to Carina and dislike her a little less now her own assassination attempt overshadows the one of Nalani's, people were quick to blame her but now the people reconsider, perhaps thinking that some are determined to paint the poisoner queen in a dark light.

And they respect her as she chose a quick death rather than handing the girl to a poisoner mob. And of course her initial Gave Noir was a success, her performance made a lasting impression with that night's event especially since Carina had more poisons in her dish than any poisoner queen's Gave Noir before her - extra additions that she ordered Andrea to do. To set a legacy and a record both.