CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: UMBRA

"How is the alliance and your plans with Grayson Vale and young Klaude Vale going?" Ebony asks her older sister, as they sit in Cierra's study, sipping from nightshade wine

Cierra carefully places her glass down, the movement refined and graceful, like all Cierra's moves as Ebony knows well after all these years.

"Sister, it is going exactly how I planned," Cierra says in a calm voice, though Ebony detects the smugness behind it, "Klaude is naive and clueless much like his father but Arwen has fallen under his spell just as we planned."

Cierra then picks up her mirror that she always carries with her and checks her immaculate silver hair that has loose two strands on either side of her face. She already knows that her hair is perfect but she checks it anyway to fuel her own vanity. Ebony laughs, shaking her head,

"At least Prince Grayson Vale is rich and powerful, brother to Valostra's King and he has fallen under your spell," Ebony says, "much like the fools before him."

Cierra laughs, a cold laugh and smiles at her younger sister as she replies, "Men are fools little sister, especially mainland men, they forget too easily that this island is very much run by women; that is why the Goddess sends three queens, there are never kings, only the king consorts of each Queen Crowned of Fennbirn Island."

Ebony nods, as she always does to appease Cierra. Cierra Raduron, is the most feared woman on the island, placing Andrea Arron into a close second.

Sometimes looking at the two sisters you could mistake them for mother and daughter rather than sisters, for their mother, Keira Raduron, had Cierra when she was only sixteen and Ebony when she was thirty. There is a fourteen year difference between both of them and their only similarity is their silvery hair through Ebony's is slightly lighter.

Cierra has begun to show slight wrinkles despite her desperate attempt to cling to her youth, she is still a beautiful woman, but an ageing one in her mid forties. That is why Ebony suspects that sometimes Cierra is jealous of Ebony, for Ebony has no wrinkles on her perfectly smooth youthful face and is only in her early thirties. Cierra envies Ebony only for her youth and Ebony suspects that she is also jealous of her rival Andrea Arron, who is a few years younger than Cierra but still retains her beautiful classic Arron youth with her icy beauty. That is a personal grudge between Cierra and Andrea but the family rivalries go much deeper.

The Arrons and the Radurons have always competed for the title of the most feared and powerful family on the island. Though neither family would dare openly challenge the warrior Murtras from Bastian, each Murtra woman is usually blood-red haired with ravenous glints in their famous flaming green eyes.

Both families often laugh at the idea of the most important naturalist family, the Milones, ever being a threat. Ever since the Legion usurper, Jules, tried to take power and died the Milones were stripped of their power for a time and by the time they were forgiven. Their power and influence had shrank to barely anything. Though they still had a strong naturalist gift so they supplied the crown with food.