CHAPTER FOURTY SIX: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT

PART ONE

PART ONE

"This is ridiculous," Dianna Beaulin states with distain as the Black Council are trying to come to a judgement about the punishment of Lucie Milone after her familiar killed a priestess in an attempt to free her sister.

It is hard times for the island and the Black Council, so much commotion and harm has happened. The people may begin to whisper that this cycle may be cursed to, with all the trouble that's happened. But Pele thinks many will choose to remember the strength of the queens' performances and rally around them instead.

"There have been two assassination attempts on two of the queens before the Ascension," she continues, one of the youngest members of the council, faired haired, fresh and new to her position that she overtook from her mother, Arabella Beaulin, who passed away just last year.

"The Arrons were responsible for Queen Nalani's attempt, the snakes," Vivianne says with venom and disdain, "they should have been punished more heavily, perhaps this was retaliation, we all know the naturalists favour Queen Nalani."

"Well there was no concrete evidence linking the entire family to the one distant Arron cousin who tried to kill Queen Nalani," Cressida Lermont points out, ever the just one. The first oracle to serve on the Black Council for years. Poisoners dominated the council and the island for centuries.

Cressida has a point, Laura Arron didn't live with Andrea or Queen Carina, she wasn't from one of the main branches of the Arrons. Most nod in agreement with the Lermont's point.

War gifted and oracles have always been allies. She is always non biased in her opinions particularly as she has no real alliances to any queen, unlike Vivianne Westwood, who glares at Cressida a bit who turns, her black dreadlocks with regal gold ribbon around them swaying with her, as she just stares back her dark brown eyes unflinching and steely. Cressida is older than Pele yet she looks younger with her flawless dark skin. The oracle is beautiful, that's likely why she got so much attention in her youth from both men and women.

But Cressida Lermont got the most attention from Queen Halia as they were lovers in the war queen's reign. Until Cressida eventually married a poisoner, a healer which is rare for poisoners nowadays, to carry on her family line, and had her daughters, Nesta and Eliza in Sunpool. But Queen Halia was not too heartbroken, she loved Cressida but she also loved her king consort, Richard. Pele recalls their strange relationship, they loved each other well enough and with passion yet both took lovers, both male and female and neither had any qualms about it.

"It is strange," Pele agrees with Dianne, with a frown as she shakes her head.

"Perhaps there is a cohort, a secret rebellious faction targetting the queensline?" Evangeline Antere pipes up which her husband scoffs at a little.