CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: SHANNON'S BLACKWAY

The wind of Shannon's Blackway blows Queen Nalani's braids to and fro

The wind of Shannon's Blackway blows Queen Nalani's braids to and fro. The wind's hands eventually tug the braids free and the loose ends of Nalani's black curls blow free in the wind.

Sighing in annoyance, Nalani ties her braids back up with a spare piece of leather. This is the fourth time she has had to re-tie the ends of her braids and her pieces of leather are running out.

Nalani is annoyed anyway. Annoyed and frozen to the bone. The weather in Rolanth is always temperamental and ever changing and instead of a beautiful sunny day, they have a cloudy grey day with horrible strong gusts of wind.

Perhaps she could stop it, perhaps not. Her gift is strong but not that strong, especially with her affinity for fire mostly.

Technically she is not supposed to be using her gifts today, as Morrigan and the cadre told her that when they spar she couldn't use her powers and that she should get used to not using them for one day. But the cadre are not here yet and they can't stop her.

She won't have much luck stopping the wind but she can move those pesky clouds blocking her warmth.

So Nalani wills the clouds above her to move and they comply, letting in a small stream of sun that instantly warms her considerably. But she prefers to be warmer.

So she simply calls fire to light the ground below her. But she controls it. And the fire only stays small, not burning the ground outside of the small circle she forces it into.

It is easy for her. To compel the fire to her will. And she likes using fire, it brings her a strange comfort.

The flames are hotter, brighter and bigger than normal flames thanks to Nalani's extra magic. The heat warms her, the bright flames illuminating her skin to a golden glow and she closes her eyes to savour the heat.

Truthfully, the combination of warmth and closed eyes makes Nalani tired and as she is about to fall to sleep a loud sound jolts her awake.

Her eyes snap open in a fright. She sees Morrigan's face staring at hers, followed by the rest of the cadre. That's what a group like this is called in Bastian anyhow.

Nalani scowls at Morrigan who returns it with a scowl of her own; the Fire Queen smiles at both Kaiden and Nimue, who both return her smiles. Finally her eyes find Rowan.

He is especially handsome today, with all his fighting leathers and he is armed to the teeth with weapons. Nalani would much rather just kiss him all day, maybe even more.

They soon catch each other's eye and they both smile, Nalani can't help but blush slightly to her embarrassment

Morrigan catches that and rolls her eyes at Nalani whose expression goes back to her usual scowl, reserved only for Morrigan.

The warrior's eyebrows raise up and the two have a staring contest for a moment, both of them scowling like mad before Kaiden steps in between them,