CHAPTER SIXTY ONE: PRYNN

"Good," Eliza says as Carina finishes crafting an antidote for rosary pea poisoning and the oracle smiles in approval

"You're a fast learner," she notes, "and good with plants, you seem to have a natural instinct with them."

"Thank you," Carina says, happy with Eliza's approval, "but I have no natural instinct with the plants, it's just pure talent," she finishes cockily and Eliza rolls her eyes though she cannot help but smile though she misses the slight strain that has etched itself onto Carina's expression.

Natural instinct with plants indeed. Has everything she has ever known been a lie? She has always prided herself on her aptitude with poisoning, that has always been a natural instinct but has it ever even been due to her poisoner gift. Or is this alleged naturalist side responsible. Is she even legion cursed? Or is she just going mad?

She is glad Eliza's oracle gift doesn't extend to reading thoughts otherwise she would surely turn her back on Carina, as would the whole island. For this has never happened before in the queensline, the rules of the island dictate that the legion cursed must be put to death. If word of her secret spread would the people rise to take her head?

Eliza doesn't reply to Carina's response at first and resists the urge to smile. She has heard tales of Queen Carina's cruelty and her ambitions but Eliza can admit that the poisoner queen isn't what she expected. It is strange, though they are the same age queens seem like different beings entirely. Mortal yet not.

"You did well I admit but I don't know where you get quite so much audacious arrogance from," she says in reply which makes Carina raise an eyebrow.

"I am royalty and was raised by the Arrons since I was six, do you think either of those things gave me humility?" She says and smiles to herself when she sees Eliza crack a small smile, inclining her head in defeat.

"My mother would hate you," Eliza says in amusement, "she would say you have the classic Arron arrogance," thinking of her oracle mother, disciplined in all things which has mostly stemmed from her being a focal point in the politicals of Fennbirn for years.

"Cressida Lermont," Carina muses, "even Andrea knew she was a force to be reckoned with, especially with her being so instrumental in Queen Halia's rule if I recall rightly."

History was an old passion of hers, when she was a little girl she loved to hear tales of the queens before. Not to use their tactics. Simply for the joy of learning. Queen Theodora was always her favourite, the naturalist with a horse familiar.

But Octavia soon put a stop to that; however, it brings Carina joy to know how much the tables have turned. Once Octavia realised just how much Carina had picked up living with the Arrons. And now Octavia Arron is rather fearful of her. Perhaps it is because she knows that Carina could have her deposed at any point. And she would. And still may. She hasn't decided. But perhaps that is why Octavia has been so absent in the Manor recently. That and the fact Octavia loathes outsiders such as Eliza.