CHAPTER FIFTY ONE: ROLANTH

Beltane was several nights ago but today for the first time since her return to Rolanth Nalani meets up with her friends

Beltane was several nights ago but today for the first time since her return to Rolanth Nalani meets up with her friends. Not just acquaintances. But friends. A strange word for queens. Royals don't have many friends, not genuine ones. Usually most who flock them are social climbers and Nalani needs a break from Vivianne's incessant lectures about the Ascension and today she will focus on something other than murder and ascending to the throne.

Friends. Nalani is lucky in that department, she suspects her sisters are not so fortunate. How could they be with the family's in which they were brought up by. But no use worrying about those that she will kill. They mean little to her, they may share blood but they are rivals, that's just how it is.

It doesn't bother her, the notion of killing - perhaps that is callous but perhaps it is simply in her queensblood. Generations hundreds of queens have killed to secure their reigns. She will do the same as she knows it is her duty and her birthright; she knows the island will be best guarded in her hands compared to the others. It is simply the way things are. Tradition keeps society afloat.

The poisoners cannot be allowed to rise again so soon after their demotion and the shadows taking control would be too unpredictable, what do they know about Fennbirn? They have been living in complete solitude for centuries, they simply aren't suited to ruling the whole of the island, completely out of the loop and they know nothing about the culture of the people with other gifts.

Nalani doesn't just want to survive; she wants the throne and the power to rule her nation. And she has a strong chance especially with the support of many, bolstering her claim as heir. Politics and death. The Fennbirn ways. It is all a game really, as much of a performance as her inferno at the Quickening.

She walks with Hestia today, to a meadow where she invited everyone to gather. At first she thought of meeting by Starfall Lake but the memories of Finn and his death came up in her mind and she decided it is best to avoid Starfall Lake for now. She still feels guilt for his death, most do not survive loving a queen but what chance did he truly have in the first place?

"Can you believe the audacity of that suitor," Nalani remarks, speaking again about Demetri Valeska the suitor who turned up to her celebrations in Moorgate Park a day ago.

Hestia turns to her, a smirk on her face, "I still can't believe a suitor would have the nerve to disobey the rules, usually they're all scared shitless from the rumours surrounding the island, they think we're witches."

Well they did have an ancient sacrificial tradition and gifts provided by a divine entity. But gifts are not considered magic here. Gifts and low magic are two different things, the latter has a price and takes its toll. Witches indeed.

Nalani sorts, shaking her head, "fools," she remarks, "I don't think they believe that anymore though not since the island rejoined the rest of the world after the cursed cycle vanquished the mist."