CHAPTER NINE: SAND HARBOUR

The horrible smell of singeing hair wafts in the fresh sea air as Nalani shoots another golden lightning bolt (this time on purpose), singeing a few more strands of Morrigan's wonderful dark red curls in retaliation

The horrible smell of singeing hair wafts in the fresh sea air as Nalani shoots another golden lightning bolt (this time on purpose), singeing a few more strands of Morrigan's wonderful dark red curls in retaliation. Though with her gift she contains the lightning every time she strikes, willing it to not burn the boat itself - it is a credit to her gift. Even though she is still injured the brief rest she had been given and the sheer determination makes Nalani's gift flare back to its power.

Morrigan seethes with fury, her whole body shaking with rage, as she throws an object directly towards Nalani's head which the queen misdirects calmly with wind. 

Sighing in frustration, Morrigan runs and punches Nalani's jaw, causing her to grunt in pain.

Nalani moves her hand to her jaw as she sends a strong gust of wind to knock Morrigan off balance so much that she nearly falls over. 

Using this to her advantage, Nalani punches Morrigan as hard as she could, earning no noise from Morrigan, but her eyes flash in pain for a moment as she regains her balance and sweeps her leg under Nalani's, causing the young queen to fall onto the hard wooden deck, bruising her back and the back of her head quickly. Her bandaged wounds sing in pain at the impact but luckily none of her injuries were that severe in the first place since she was saved by the elementals.

Quickly, the Fire Queen gets back onto her feet as she calls for fire and creates a fire ring around Morrigan; wherever Morrigan steps, the scorching flames grow taller, burning her hands slightly. Nalani wills the fire not to burn the boat and it obeys her, but she'll let it burn Morrigan. That little trick of hers only works with her magical flames that she herself creates, not the ones she takes from candles and torches to manipulate.

Sweat trails down Nalani's forehead, not from the heat of the flames but from the energy she is putting into keeping the flames contained to their ring, to not burn the boat to cinders and not allowing them to flare out of control. The flames have wind, oxygen and elemental magic, so they thrive and growl menacingly at Morrigan like a fierce lion. Nalani feels the flames longing to break free and it takes all of her control and energy to keep them contained into a small fire ring but fire is hot tempered and powerful, it is not meant to be mastered.

They both hear shouts from that other girl Nimue and a boy, Kaiden, she thinks his name is, who have finally come on deck and yells from Rowan, but not one of them tries to intervene, for fear of getting incredibly hurt themselves. They know better than to interfere with a queens business.

Suddenly Morrigan braves the flames, as she puts her arms up to cover her face and she jumps straight through them, the heat burning her sleeves off completely and her arms slightly. Screaming in pure fustration, Nalani calls another lightning bolt which Morrigan dodges easily.

"Again with the lightning," Morrigan says, smirking while getting into another defensive stance, "don't you have any other tricks?" 

This fills Nalani with more rage as she tries to control the hardest element, water. It is unpredictable and erratic but her rage fuels her power and she manages to control it successfully as she calls for gallons of water that rise out of the sea under her control and gather overhead in a large sphere and for a moment it is beautiful and majestic, a calm fluid mix of white and blue - the true beauty of an elemental queen's gifts.