CHAPTER FIVE: UMBRA

Queen Arwen sits on a stool in front of her mirror, her maid, Darcia, putting the finishing touches onto her elaborate bun that sits on the back do her head with white pearls woven into her hair

Queen Arwen sits on a stool in front of her mirror, her maid, Darcia, putting the finishing touches onto her elaborate bun that sits on the back do her head with white pearls woven into her hair. She stands up and at looks herself, with Darcia resting her head on her shoulder, 

"You look beautiful as always Arwen," Darcia says with a shy timid smile, putting some finishing touches to Arwen's hair.

"Thank you," Arwen says trying to smile but she is not looking forward to meeting her first suitor and is nervous as she's never really spoken to a boy her age properly and she has never attempted flirting and she has no idea how to do it. What if she fails? How does one flirt? How does one kiss? The thoughts make her cringe and make nervous butterflies spread in her stomach. 

She was raised to be a queen and she is never going to be a normal island girl who could flirt as she pleases but now she must do it. For Cierra tells her on many occasions that she must make the suitors think with their hearts rather than their heads' or something along those lines. It is amusing how Arwen is worrying about such things when she should be focusing on becoming queen.

She wishes she could be a White Handed Queen, a queen who ascends to the throne with no blood on her hands. Like Queen Arsinoe or Queen Andira.

But for that to happen now her sisters would have to be sacrificed and they would have to be weak for that to happen. And neither of them are weak as Cierra loves to remind her constantly. They are both strong in character and with their gifts. It makes Arwen scared. She is supposed to be a powerful, rare shadow but she only feels fear and stupid.

Cierra says that because her sisters are strong is the reason that she will have to be stronger, fiercer and more ruthless.

Cierra has slapped Arwen for talk of perhaps becoming a White Handed Queen. She said that it was fool's talk and to not talk or think of it again - dismissing Arwen entirely as she always had. 

But even if her sisters were ever weak and there was ever a possibility that she could ascend to the throne without bloodshed, Cierra would've stopped it somehow. She relishes the bloodshed of it all. Cierra wants to prove how powerful shadows are when their community eventually fully integrates back into the community of Fennbirn.

The shadow matriarch doesn't want the first shadow queen in eons to break the cycle of their wins, for no shadow queen in history has ever lost an Ascension Year. That is why they are so rare and the Goddess made them weaker to make them more equal to the rest of the island. They were much too powerful to begin with, not truly mortal with the strength they held.

Thinking of Cierra and her gift makes her more nervous as she hugs Darcia, her silent yet kind companion, and then goes to find Ebony so she can feel slightly better. It's a habit she's had since she was a child.

Cautiously, she steps out of her rooms, making sure that she isn't heard as Cierra instructed her to stay in her room until she calls her down for her birthday ball and the meeting of her first suitor; all the important shadows on the island will be there to criticise Arwen's every move, especially regarding her moves involving the mainland suitor.