Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Mac's POV

We had all gotten our memories back. We were all sufficiently freaked out. Now, we were trying to fortify the school to protect Liam's friend Hayden. She was one of the chimeras and the dread doctors were coming after her. We were gonna use telluric currents and cellphone jammers to try and keep the dread doctors out.

Stiles and Theo were looking after the body from last night to see if they could find out who has been taking the bodies. Scott, Isaac, Jordan, Malia, Lydia, and I were with Hayden at the school. I was hoping this would work. Malia, Isaac, and Jordan were outside while the rest of us were hunkered down in the locker room.

"What were you going to do with these?" Liam asked, holding the chains that Scott brought. Lydia, Scott, and I exchanged looks.

"Brought them just in case," Scott said.

"In case of what?" Liam asked. 

"In case we had a chance to catch one of them," Lydia admitted. 

"If we can't make the school a fortress, then maybe we can make it a trap," Scott explained. 

"They're coming for her, doesn't that mean she's the bait?" Liam asked. This is why we didn't tell him. I knew he wouldn't be too keen on this plan. Liam threw the chains down angrily.

"Liam, we brought her here to protect her," Lydia said slowly.

"And now she's bait," Liam said.

"Am I?" Hayden asked. 

"No. No one's bait." Scott replied. "But we can't be bodyguards to everyone every night."

"Then why aren't we talking to Stiles' dad? Why aren't we doing something better than hiding in a school?" Liam asked.

"Because we still don't know anything about them or what they want, okay? They're winning and we don't even know what the game is." Scott answered. 

"What if they come in here and those things don't work? What if you have an asthma attack again?" Liam asked angrily. "What are we gonna do?"

"I don't know," Scott answered honestly.

"This plan sucks!" Liam said.

"You got a better one?" I asked him. He looked away from us.

"Kids are dying! And she's next. So, somebody has to do something. Somebody has to save everyone. So somebody's got to be the bait!" Scott yelled angrily. He took a deep breath and stepped back.

"Scott. Promise me you'll do everything you can to save her." Liam whispered. "Scott. Promise."

"I'll do everything I can. I promise." Scott confirmed.

"Guys. I think I might need a little help right now. I forgot my pills." Hayden said, panic in her voice. "I have a bottle in my locker. I can get them, but-"

"I'll get them," Scott said assuredly. "What's your combination?" She rattled off her locker number and combination. I walked to the door with Scott and Lydia.

"Hurry," Lydia told him. 

"I'll keep watch," I said. We watched him walk down the hallway. It had been a few minutes and Scott still wasn't back. I looked at Lydia nervously.

"I'll go find him. Stay here." I said and slowly walked toward Hayden's locker. When I rounded the corner, I saw Helena standing at the end of the hallway. She had activated her phoenix powers and was glaring at me. I walked up to her confused.

"Helena, what's going on?" I asked her "What are you doing here?" She didn't respond. She wrapped a hand around my throat and squeezed. I couldn't breathe and her flames were burning my skin.

"You never should've been born." She said, but this wasn't Helena. This was my mom. I tried to get her hand off of me, but the flames started burning around my body. I felt my flesh searing off. Her grip was so tight around my throat, I couldn't even yell for help. I felt her crush my larynx. She tossed me on the ground and walked away. I watched her walk away, toward the locker room. I felt helpless, unable to move. I felt a stab on my thigh and I sat up with a gasp. Mason stood over me with Scott.

"Are you okay?" Scott asked, helping me up.

"Yeah," I said, looking down at my body. It must have been an intense hallucination because I was in perfect health. I looked up at Scott and Mason. "Liam and Hayden."

"Let's go," Scott said. The three of us ran to the locker room. When we got there Lydia, Malia, and Isaac were there but no Liam or Hayden.

"They're gone," Lydia said.

"Hayden and Liam are gone," Malia added. We all looked at Scott.

----------------------------

It's a little short

785 Words

#BlackLivesMatter

#StopAsianHate

Remember Share, Like, Comment, ETC.