Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Mac's POV

"Lydia? Lydia." Malia whispered. "Did you hear me? Look. I passed." She held up a paper and I could see the red scores written.

"C-minus," Lydia said with a fake smile.

"Your notes are great when they're not written in code," Malia said with a smile. Her smile dropped as Coach dropped her latest test result on her desk.

"Disappointed, Malia. Profoundly disappointed." Coach said. I saw the big F written in the top right corner of her test. She pouted.

"I'll send you my notes," Lydia said. Kira, Lydia, Malia, and I were the only ones from our small pack that actually showed up to class. There was no telling where the boys were at this point.

"It's over." I heard Kira say. I looked up and saw her speaking to Lydia who was staring at the chalkboard with a lost look on her face. "The computers are off. No more assassins. No more murders. No one's dying."

"Not yet," Lydia said. She told us how her banshee powers took her to Derek's late last night. It worried me. His name was also one of the cipher keys, so we were all pretty concerned. Deaton was off trying to figure out what Kate did to Derek to see if we could reverse it before it killed him.

When the bell rang, The four of us walked together to the lacrosse field. Malia turned to look at us with a hopeful expression on her face.

"You guys wanna help me study tonight?" She asked. I quickly agreed.

"Can't. I have a date with Scott after practice." Kira said.

"Finally," I said with a smile. "I was wondering when you two would be official."

"Speaking of dates, how goes things on the Brett front?" Lydia asked.

"Oh yes, tell us all the juicy details." Kira teased.

"Oh, you mean the guy who ghosted me after the Deadpool stopped? That Brett?" I said bitterly. After we all went our separate ways that night, Brett stopped talking to me. All communication just ended. He didn't respond to my texts or calls so I stopped trying. It's been two weeks.

"Want me to hurt him?" Malia asked and I laughed.

"Not yet, but I'll let you know," I said with a smirk. We were almost to the field when I noticed a certain lacrosse player who didn't attend this school.

"Speak of the devil," Lydia muttered noticing him too. He walked up to us with his hands in his pocket.

"Mac, can we talk?" Brett asked. Earning a scoff from me.

"Don't you go to another school?" Lydia asked, crossing her arms.

"Can we talk, alone?" He asked, looking at the three girls who stood around me glaring at him.

"Fine, whatever," I said crossing my arms.

"I have someplace to be anyway," Lydia said, flickering her hair in his face and strutting away. Kira and Malia didn't move.

"Guys, it's fine. Kira, you have practice. I'll meet you over there in a bit." I said.

"Well, I don't," Malia said, standing firm.

"Malia, it's okay," I replied to the stubborn girl. She let out a growl and let Kira pull her away. I watched them disappear into the lacrosse field area and turned back to Brett with a glare.

"Protective, huh?" He said with a smirk, trying to make a joke. It didn't amuse me.

"They aren't a fan of guys who like to play with my emotions." I shot back, my voice dry. His smirk dropped and he looked down at his feet in guilt.

"I'm sorry. I just had a lot going on." He said, looking up at me.

"You weren't the only one," I said bitterly.

"With trying to get settled after the Deadpool and I just got distracted." He said. I was quickly getting tired of these lame excuses.

"I get that, but you could've shot me a quick text. You completely ignored me for two whole weeks, Brett." I reminded him.

"Well, you stopped texting me!" Brett said exasperated.

"I'm not sure what girls you're used to at that Prep school you go to, but I'm not about to beg for your attention," I argued back. "If that's all you have to say, I have to go now."

Before I could walk away, he spoke again. "You intimidate me. You were so powerful that night. You did more than I ever could. You protected my pack, my sister."

"If you can't handle a strong woman, then I'm definitely not the one for you. No need to waste either of our time." I said and started walking away. He grabbed my arm stopping me. I looked up at him, his face only a few inches from mine.

"No, it's not that." He said quietly with a sigh.

"Then what is it?" I asked in the same tone.

"How can I even compare to you? All I ever do is run, while you stand up and face the bad guys. You've saved me countless times. How can I pay you back? Save you?" He whispered. His blue eyes shining bright. They were like a spell pulling you in.

"You don't need to save me, Brett. I've been taking care of myself my whole life and that's not about to change." I whispered back.

"Give me another chance?" He asked.

"We'll see," I said pulling away and walking toward the field. I could feel his eyes looking at me. I turned my head and saw a dumbfounded look on his face. I turned back around and let out a laugh.

~

Later in the evening, Malia and I were on Stiles' bed while I helped her study. He was sitting at his desk doing homework when Noah walked in.

"Drop what you're doing. I'm taking you three out to dinner. Whatever you want." Noah said with a smile.

"Dad, I don't think a man of your debts should be treating anyone to anything," Stiles said.

"Well, there's one debt we no longer have to worry about," Noah said handing Stiles a paper.

"What is that?" I asked sitting up.

"A letter of apology from Eichen House," Noah said with a smile. "Apparently, they've decided to forgive our debt due to, uh. Well, Stiles and Lydia almost getting murdered."

"They can do that?" Malia asked.

"They can do it and they did it," Noah said.

"I have never been so happy to have almost been murdered," Stiles stated standing up.

"Well, we're not out of it yet. But...We're going to be okay." Noah said. Stiles and I exchanged a smile. "And at least for the moment, I can afford to take my son, his girlfriend, and my practically adopted daughter out to dinner." Noah sent me a wink at the daughter comment. My smile grew to the point of my cheeks hurting.

"Malia, what's your favorite food?" Noah asked.

"Deer." She quickly stated. Noah gave her a surprised look.

"Pizza. She likes pizza." Stiles corrected. I laughed, grabbing my books, and set them in my room.

—————-

Do you ship Brett and Mac? Hmm.. ship names? I'm thinking Mrett or maybe Brac

Let me know what you think?

1208 Words

#BlackLivesMatter

Remember Share, Like, Comment, ETC.