Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Mac's POV

"I hate tests." I groaned as I stood in line to take the PSAT's. Scott, Stiles, Issac, Kira, Malia, and I all stood in the hallway of Beacon Hills, waiting for our turn to check-in.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked.

"She took it her freshman year," Stiles informed us. Stupid genius, not having to take this stupid test.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Maila asked and I felt that in my soul. 

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott reminded her.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." She said, nervously.

"Well." Stiles corrected.

" Well, what?" She asked him. 

"It's 'do well', not good," Stiles explained.

"Oh, God!" She exclaimed.

"You're doing this because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott encouraged.

"It's only three hours. We can survive for three hours." Kira said with a smile.

"Yeah, If I don't die of boredom first," Isaac said, putting his head against the locker.

When we filed into the room, we stamped our thumbs, picked up a test booklet, pencils, and turned in our phones. The room was filled to the brim, with Ms. Martin and some other guy as our proctors.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and 10 minutes. There will be two 25-minute critical reading sections, two 25-minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes." The guy informed us. "There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." He said to Ms. Martin.

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." She said and walked out of the room. She came back in a few minutes later "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?"

"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break." He informed her and turned to look at us. "You may now open your test booklets and begin."

When I opened the booklet, I started reading the questions. I skipped over the ones I didn't know and made a mark on my answer sheet to go back. I was good with English, so this first reading section wasn't so bad. It had only been a few minutes when there was a thump from the back of the room. I turned to see a student, Sydney, on the ground.

"Sydney!" Ms. Martin gasped and rushed over to the girl. "Are you all right?"

"I'm okay. I just got kind of dizzy." Sydney said. Ms. Martin looked at her arm with curiosity.

"Sydney, how long have you had this?"

"I don't know," Sydney said.

"Ms. Martin, do I need to stop the test?" The proctor asked.

"No, um, it's fine. Everybody stay in your seats. I'll, um, be back in a minute." She said, grabbing her phone to leave. She turned and looked at the guy. "Nobody leaves the room."