Chapter Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine

Mac's POV

"Why didn't you ask for help? We would've helped you take down that psycho bitch?" I asked Malia as she leaned against the table in the vet office. She winced as she moved her body to look at me.

"I know. I just didn't want you to have to get blood on your hands." She sighed. Malia had called me and Isaac letting us know she was at the vet clinic with Deaton and Braden. She had gone after her mother with Braden and Theo. The Desert Wolf and kidnapped Deaton and was trying to kill Malia for her werecoyote powers. Unsurprisingly, Theo betrayed Malia, knocking out Braden and left with some Talon claws he got from Malia's birth mother. The Desert Wolf had almost succeeded. The only reason she didn't is The Beast of Gévaudan had appeared. The Desert Wolf escaped but Malia was able to save Deaton and escape The Beast's clutches.

"I already have some, what's a little more?" I asked with a shrug. "Plus you're not the only one who's almost murdered someone in the last couple weeks."

"Yeah, maybe you shouldn't be so proud saying that." Isaac said and turned to look at our human friends. "You're all alright though?"

"Yeah, we're fine." Deaton informed, patching up his head wound. I turned and looked at Braden.

"And you, why didn't you call me and tell me you were in town?" I asked crossing my arms.

"I was here for strictly business." Braden shrugged.

"Well next time you two decide to go half cocked after The Desert Wolf, call me." I announced. "I know a thing or two about long lost family members trying to use your for your powers and kill you."

"Wait, what does that mean?" Malia asked.

"Let's just say that we need a new English teacher." Isaac responded. The three of them looked at me shocked.

"You killed your aunt?" Braden deadpanned.

"First of all, that bitch kidnapped me and tried to kill me. Secondly, no. Almost, but no." I informed them. Before anyone could respond, Scott and Liam walked in. My mood immediately soured. Scott walked over and pulled Deaton in a hug. There was relief on his face. Liam looked at the ground, his face full of guilt. I sent the younger boy a soft smile. He responded, sending me one back.

"So did everyone in the pack try to kill someone this year?" Isaac asked, looking at the younger beta, souring my mood further.

"No, Scott was too busy hanging out with our trusty pal Theo." I spat out bitterly, turning on my heel and storming out out of the exam rooms. A hand grabbed my shoulder and stopped me from walking out the front door.

"Mac, can we talk?" Scott asked. I stopped and scoffed at him, pulling away from his grip. I turned and looked at him.

"What?" I asked with my arms crossed.

"I just wanted to say that I was sorry for not coming to help you." Scott said, his face full of guilt.

"Are you really or do you just want me to help you with something?" I asked, the bitterness still heavy in my voice.

"Both." He responded, causing me to scoff and turn to leave again. "Wait. Please."

"Scott, I don't know what you want from me. Obviously I haven't been high on your list of priorities." I said exasperated whipping back around to look at him.

"I'm sorry." Scott whispered.

"You abandoned me, Scott!" I snapped, my voice cracking. "You were the one family member who had never left me. Never hurt me. Sure we didn't grow up together and maybe you held some resentment toward me at first. Resentment because you thought I was the reason dad left but then I moved here and we got close. I never in a million years thought you'd leave me high and dry like that. That's not my brother, I thought. That's not the type of person he is. But the one time I needed you. Anytime I've needed you, you weren't there. There's always someone or something more important." Tears were streaming down my face by the end of my speech.

"Mac, I-" Scott started but I cut him off.

"I guess I should be used to this." I let out a watery humorless chuckle. "All of my family has hurt me so far. I shouldn't have expected different from you." Scott grabbed me into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered, his voice full of emotion. I tried to pull away, but he just gripped me tighter. "I'm sorry. I'll say it a million times. I'll do anything to make it up to you. I'll go kick Brett's ass for breaking up with you. I'll help you hunt your aunt down, if you want. I'll do anything to help you forgive me. You're my baby sister and I will never forgive myself for letting that happen to you. For not being there when you needed me."

"You'd really do all that?" I asked him, sniffing. I know hunting down Helena would go against his code of ethics, but he'd really go for it? He'd do that for me?

"Yes. Just let me know when." He responded. Releasing me from his arms.

"We don't need to hunt Helena down. I think she knows better than to come back here." I said, thinking back to her terrified expression as she ran away as quickly as she could.

"And Brett?" Scott asked.

"That's to be determined." I said with a small smile.

"So do you forgive me?" Scott asked in a hopeful voice.

"No." I responded and his face fell. "I accept your apology but it's gonna take some time to 100% forgive you."

"I can accept that." Scott said with a smile. He threw his arm around me. "Let's head back in."

————————

Scott is trying to be a better brother to Mac.

1004 Words

#BlackLivesMatter

#StopAsianHate

Remember Share, Like, Comment, ETC.