Chapter Twenty-Two

"Umm, why are you all here?" Uraraka spoke to the crowd of students outside our classroom door.

"Yes, do you have business here?" Iida added.

Katsuki made his way to the crowd, "They're scouting out the competition, we're the class that survived a real villain attack, they wanted to see us with their own eyes."

I quickly shadow traveled behind Katsuki, just in case he got cocky. "At least now you know what a-" I wacked him with a shadow fly swatter and turned to the other students.

"Ignore him, he just doesn't know when to shut his mouth." I smiled at him to see him fuming. "Welp, gotta blast."

"Damn you Shady!" Just as he reached out for me I traveled behind Izuku.

"So this is class 1-A, " a boy with messy purple hair shoved his way to the front of the crowd. "I heard you guys were impressive, but you just sound like an ass." He's definitely referring to Katsuki. "You're lucky to have a friend to keep you in check, otherwise you may never become likable." He rubbed the back of his head, "Unless they're all like you, it's a shame to find a bunch of egomaniacs in this class." He looked back up at us, even the students that aren't in our class looked confused and concerned. "I wanted to be in the hero course, but like many others here I was forced to chose a different track, such is life."

"Tch." Katsuki is visibly pissed by now. I wonder who this guy is.

"I didn't get it the first time around, but I have another chance. If any of us do well in the sports festival the teachers can decide to transfer us to the hero course. Then they'll transfer people out of your class." He looked around the class, possibly trying to determine who would be the strongest. "I'm not here to scout the competition like some of my classmates, I'm here to let you know that if you don't bring your best, I'll steal your spot right from under you." He paused and gave a slight smirk, "Consider this declaration of war."

I'm super tempted to tell him to steal Mineta's spot in this class but I also don't want to get in trouble. But it seems like the purple hair guy and Katsuki are having a staring contest.

Jeez, everyone hates our class, it's gonna be a long two weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our training's been more intense ever since that declaration of war. I've been fine-tuning most of my fighting moves and sparring with Mina, Katsuki, Kiri, Sero, and Denki more than my other classmates. I've also been working on being able to use my quirk with little darkness.

They have one on one battles every year, so it's likely I'll be out in the open with almost no chance to use large shadows. But one useful thing I've learned from training with Todoroki nearby, is that I can't travel through shadows, I even got my leg stuck inside of his ice while my body was me but my leg was shadow.

It's good I've been training too hard lately, because today, the sports festival begins. I'm stupid excited but also kinda scared of letting my depression tell me I'm not good enough and back out last minute.

"Awww man, I was totally hoping we could wear our costumes." Mina whined.

Ojiro turned to her while stretching his arms, "Well everyone's gonna be wearing them, they have to keep things fair, right?"

"Yeah, he's right, I've read about some heroes and villains that rely too heavily on gadgets and things that help their quirk in their outfits." I sighed as I cracked my back, "They'll end up in a situation where they can't use those devices and losing a battle, being hospitalized, or in extreme circumstances, they find themselves dead."