Chapter Seventy-five

"He's still in there!?!" No, he's smart enough to get out. He must have escaped on the other side.

Ochako nodded, "He held up the concrete with ice to let the rest of us get out. But he was exhausted from fighting the villain that made it collapse, so I think he's stuck under there." She hiccuped, "The ice started cracking and... and I'm scared." She cried. No, sobbed. I don't think she could continue talking if she tried. 

Mr. Aizawa, wide-eyed, turned to me. "Keiko-"

"I'll get him."

He nodded. So I zipped away in the shadows to find him. I need to find him. Up the side of the parking garage. Through the rubble and wreckage. There's so many bloodied hands and feet sticking out from under the concrete and rebar. It makes me want to vomit, seeing so many dead bodies. But I don't think any of them are Shoto. They can't be.

Another hand. Someone's brains... Damnit... I can't save them all. They're all ready dead. I need to keep going. I need to find Shoto. Or... anyone that's still alive.

I whipped my head out of the shadows. I thought I saw his pink bracelet. I can't focus. I need to calm down. Where... There! I see his hand! His bracelet and watch. I rush closer, it's clear enough here that I can fully emerge from the shadows.

"Oh my god..." I whispered. He's unconscious... but somehow the concrete, ice, and rebar landed like a tent over top of him. He's not injured at all. "It's a good thing you always refuse to take off the bracelet Himiko made you." I choked out a small chuckle.

I grabbed hold of his outstretched hand and pulled him up to me. "Is there any way out without shadow traveling?" I looked around, blowing my bangs out of my eye. There! I see an opening a few feet wide just a bit away from us. I hoisted him up to my chest and stood up. I slowly made my way there. There's a steep pile of rubble to get there. That's alright. I can just turn the shadows into a floating platform and get out that way.

I felt something tug on my shirt. I slowly turned my head to look. "Oh thank goodness." It's just a piece of rebar. It ripped my shirt a bit, but that's fine. I used a small shadow to unhook it and continued up. Finally I made it out, then used the same platform to get back to the ground.

"I found him." I told Ochako. We're both teary-eyed to say the least. "He's okay, just unconscious." I set him down on the ground and waved over Mr. Aizawa. It seems like the police showed up while I was in there and have apprehended most of the villains.

"Is he okay?" He asked, crouching down to take a pulse.

"Yeah, he's okay." I said. I rehashed what happened and how I found him to Ochako and Mr. Aizawa.

Ochako pointed to his belt loop. "I think I know why he was okay." She laughed while hiccupping.

I looked to see what she was pointing at. He has a short wallet chain on his belt loop. On it, is the protection jar Kyouka made back in our first year at U.A.