Chapter Fifty-nine

"Wait-hang on. Rei?" He held his hands out as if he was trying to stop the air. "Rei. As in Rei Himura?"

"And Nobuyuki as in Nobuyuki Himura?" She responded with a smile. "It's good to see you after all these years."

"Hold the phone." I interrupted. "You already know each other?" My eyes darted between the two. "And what do you mean Rei Himura?"

"Well, that's my maiden name, I was planning to change my name back to that once I get the paperwork."

"But how do you know each other? Are you related?"

My dad laughed, "No, kiddo. We went to high school together, we just happen to have the same last name." He pulled up a chair near mom, I joined him. "It was a fairly common last name in our area, about four or so kids in our grade alone."

"That sounds about right, but the High-mura twins were the only ones in our school that were related. I wonder how those two are doing now." I just sat in confusion. They knew each other in high school? High-mura? Is that a nickname?

"Oh, I actually ran into Ichiro while running some supplies down to another fire department the other day. He's married with two lovely children, they really liked my fireman pants." He chuckled. "And his sister is married and teaches at a local college." I think I'll let them finish this conversation before I butt in again.

"Sister?" Mom seemed slightly confused for a second, "Oh! Did she...?"

"Yes, her name is Mayumi now. And she was able to get gender affirming surgeries."

"Hey um, why did you call them the High-mura twins."

My mom and dad seemed to snap back to reality and realize I was there. "Sorry, I got kinda caught up in talking."

"Thats fine, you two happen to know each other and wanted to catch up, but I'm confused." 

Mom spoke up, "Well, both Ichiro and Suz- Mayumi have flight based quirks. The two of them would always get into trouble for putting something where everyone couldn't reach or be on the school roof when they weren't allowed to. And they would just fly as high as they could to not get caught, and since they were still technically on school property they couldn't get punished all the time."

"They may have been trouble makers, but Ichiro and Mayumi pulled through when you needed them."

"So- question."

"Answer."

"Haha, very funny, " Of course he's pulling the dad jokes. But, it is kinda funny. "Anyway, if you two knew each other than why didn't you keep in touch?"

"Well, we had a few classes together and had to work on projects together, but I wouldn't say we were exactly friends." My mom said. "We never got to get to know each other that well. But now we may have a chance to."

"Yeah, it's crazy how life works like that. But at least we aren't total strangers."