Love Drives You Insane

(This was written roughly around two years ago as my gothic literature short story for English class. I never got the chance to post it to here till now. the writing style is a bit different as I spent months creating this when I made it)

Marina's POV

As I walked across the creaky floor I carefully watched my steps to avoid making any noise. The door slowly opened to the room of the one I cherished most, the only one that brings me joy, Pearl. That name... it sounds so sweet, no other sounds could compete with it.

My fingertips let go of the rusty doorknob as I slowly but surely opened the door all the way. I moved over to her bed which sat in the right corner of the room. She was gently snoring, such a lovely snore indeed. Her light blue blanket was wrapped around her small body, leaving only her head visible. I pushed her hair behind her ear so I could admire her magnificent appearance. A smile spread across my face at the sight of her, and my fingers started to caress her short soft hair.

Once I had finished my time in her room, I made my way toward the dark hallway. I watched the silent, still room, knowing it would be the last time I would see her. I blinked, thinking about what I was planning to do. 'Would she ever forgive me?' I wondered. I shook my head to clear the doubt lurking over me, making sure that only one thought stuck in my brain. 'I have to. I have to do it, for her.'

I shifted as I got up from my bed, the sun shining through the window of my bedroom. It was morning. The thoughts from yesterday night crept upon me, making me want to scream to get them out. 'Maybe I could just ask her? No Marina, you have to do this. I can't stand to see her anymore.' My body ached at the sight of her. I smacked myself in the face to stop my thoughts.

As I made my way out of the room, I felt as though my thoughts followed me. Those thoughts took the form of a shadowy figure with a huge smile. A smile that made you want to look away, look away and never think about it again, but I couldn't look away. It's the only thing I think about. It has been since the day I and Pearl met.

The first time we met, my love for her was like a small fire in my heart. At one point she was the only thing that made me happy. Soon enough, the small spark of fire in my heart turned into a rapidly burning flame that had taken over my body. I was the one who offered to be roommates with her. I realize now that it was a torturous idea for me. I can't stand to look at her without her knowing. I was at her closed door. I took a deep breath and then knocked on the door, waiting for an answer.

"Gimme a sec," I heard a voice on the other side of the door say. About a minute later the door opened, and the short girl appeared. Her porcelain face glowed as she smiled, "What were you thinking to make for breakfast?" The question popped out of her mouth, but I couldn't even think about what she said. All I could think about was that smile, a cruel, deceiving one. It made me want to strangle her, but alas, I didn't.

"I was thinking...eggs?" I blurted out as my thoughts died down. "Or maybe you have any other idea." I added quickly.

Pearl clapped her hands together, "Let's go out to a diner!" She stated, not actually asking me if I wanted to.

"Uhhh, I'm too lazy. Can we just make eggs?" I asked, whining a little. Obviously this was an excuse. If I wanted my plan to work, she mustn't leave the apartment.

Pearl reluctantly agreed to make eggs that morning. The tools in the kitchen were itching me to use them on her. The shadowy figure had even filled the room with darkness. Everything was dark except me and her.

It whispered, "Do it. How much happier would you be without her, Marina? She's only holding you back." I felt like it wrapped around me, choking me with darkness. "Let me go!" I yelled at the figure. But alas, nothing was there. There was no darkness.

Pearl had heard me yell and stopped doing what she was doing to look over at me, "Let you go..? I'm not even touching you." Pearl said, confused.

"Uhhhh, I was talking to myself." I awkwardly laughed to dismiss the situation.

The day went by so slow, it felt like I had stopped time itself, and by night time the thoughts in my head made my ears pound. There was no escape. It was a deed I must do. I walked up to Pearl, who was sitting on the couch so nonchalantly. "Do you want to watch the night sky on the balcony?" I asked joyfully. No, fake joyfully.

"Sure. Is there a reason?" Curiosity pierced Pearl's tone. She turned her head toward me and sat up.

"There's a reason, but it'll be like old times, y'know?" I gave Pearl a fake smile and grabbed her soft hand, helping her to her feet.

As both of us made it onto the balcony, I counted the floors. Six, six floors. Six high floors. We both leaned our arms on the ledge of the balcony. I cleared my throat, turning my head towards her.

"I brought you out here for a reason. I can't bear to be around you without you knowing. The thing that you don't know is that I had loved you. I had loved you until it tortured me. The torture that stung me like a wasp a million times. In the end, you just sat there clueless. I'm sorry Pearl, but I have to do this." I picked up the short girl by the torso and threw her over the balcony ledge, I struggled at first but eventually I managed to throw her over. Once she hit the concrete floor I heard a thud, a very loud one.

I rushed down the six floors to see her badly hurt with scrapes, bruises, and cuts all over her body. Blood rushed out from the back of her head, yet she was still alive. I looked down at her and she looked back up at me. She lay there wheezing in pain, for some reason it made me happy. Thankfully no one was there to see the deed I had done, I began dragging her by her wrist.

"How are you not dead yet?" I mumbled, squeezing her wrist, her body scraping against the rough concrete floor as I brought her up the six floors. She screamed, but all she got in return was a kick in the head from me, which shut her up eventually. Once we made it back up to the apartment I let go of her on the kitchen floor, unable to move. I worked my way over to the drawer that contained a butcher knife. I'd been waiting for this moment for so long, and I was so excited that I hadn't even realized that Pearl was speaking.

"W-what did I do to you, Marina..?" She wheezed, her voice filled with pain. I turned to her with the knife and I smiled creepily, something that just couldn't leave my face.

I made my way up to her, looking down upon her "You didn't do anything. Besides your presence haunting me." I responded, putting the knife against her throat. "I'm sorry Pearl, but I have to do this." The words came out of my mouth with doubt. I stabbed the poor girl's throat with the knife. I watched as her soul drained from her eyes and she fell limp.

I quickly let go of the knife which fell to the floor. 'I did it.' I told myself, not believing what I had just done. 'This was the right choice, right?' I picked up her body not knowing what to do. 'I suppose I could just hide it,' I quickly thought. I walked over to the closet that sat in Pearl's room and placed her body inside it. I shut it and walked back over to the kitchen. My fingers made their way toward the knife with Pearl's blood covering it. I picked the knife up and smudged some of the blood that was on it,

'She's dead now because of me... She, she made me crazy,' I realized. The figure lurked behind me to the point of which I could hear every breath from its creepy mouth. 'It made me do this. It wanted me to do this. I shouldn't deserve to live while Pearl, who has done nothing wrong, is dead,' Anger surged through my head as darkness filled the room. I could make out the silhouette of a figure in the distance. 'Is that her?' I wondered. I walked closer to the silhouette to realize that it was! I started running, but before I could stop to realize, the darkness that filled the room was gone.

I was falling, falling to my death off the balcony. 'I deserve this. I deserve this because of what I've done. Maybe I'll get to see Pearl again.' Everything went black as I hit the concrete floor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow have I not seen this story for a hot minute. I always love writing AUs with Pearl and Marina. Anyways I've been trying to post weekly so here you go! Next week will be part two of last weeks oneshot