02. him

Jean roped an arm around Y/N's waist as they walked towards a cafe on the edge of campus. Y/N believed the worst thing about college was mainly that they shared classes a couple days of the week.

"Why didn't you text me back last night?" He inquired looking down at Y/N only to be met with a blank expression.

"I can't tolerate you more than thirty minutes a day," She answered curtly, trying to avoid the flirting she knew was going to come her way.

He clicked his teeth before looking down at her with a shit-eating grin, "You know a few minutes is all I need to change your mind. I mean come on, you won't text me but you'll take me on a date for coffee?"

"You asked me where I was going and followed me." She retorted raising an eyebrow at him.

He frowned at her answer before looking forward. "Don't take this any kind of w—"

"I can't if you don't say it."

"Still gonna say it." He teased, poking her cheek. "You've been really negative lately, maybe even bitchy..." He trailed off as he studied how she reacted to the last word, once he felt he was in the clear he continued. "Did something happen?"

Y/N opened her mouth to retort, but once she saw the genuine concern on Jean's face she closed her mouth.

The truth was she knew that and she also knew she didn't really have a reason to be. After all, she was in the midst of her second semester in college, still had a job, and had great friends. She felt bad knowing that even though Jean was a flirtatious asshole, she'd made him worry.

In reality, nothing had happened. Jean's last party which was three weeks ago had been the last one she'd gone to. For a while, she chalked it up to getting eaten out by an overeager drunk guy, but it was becoming more evident that it wasn't that. It was like she'd been infected with bad vibes. And while partying isn't her favorite thing, it was something she enjoyed and did often, but she's fallen off the wagon.

"Honestly, I don't really know," She responded to Jean, as he pushed open the door to the cafe and lead her inside.

"What do you mean?" Jean asked absent-mindedly, studying the menu.

Y/N decided to drop the conversation as she and Jean made their way to a table in a semi-secluded corner of the cafe. Once they sat, Y/N grabbed her notes and laptop from her bag as she sipped her macchiato.

"You can't seriously be doing schoolwork when you have a sex god sitting across from you." Jean snorted and Y/N rolled her eyes in response.

"Sex god, more like whore," She responded, eyeing her notes from today's lecture with intensity.

She snuck a glance at Jean only to see him eyeing a pretty girl with beautiful dark skin who'd just walked into the cafe. The girl was a sight to behold indeed, but Y/N chuckled to herself as she thought of how accurate her statement was.

Despite being a freshman himself, Jean had built quite the reputation. He'd had the easiest time getting into a fraternity and somehow possessed the ability to sleep with girls that seemed impossible. He was easily the most popular freshman on campus. Between his partying and sexual conquests, he somehow even managed to complete the occasional assignment here and there.

Y/N sighed as she thought of her own grades and how her parents would pull the plug on funds if her grades dipped below an eighty-five.

Jean pulled Y/N out of her thoughts with a kiss on her cheek. She reached to give him a smack but missed earning laughter from him. He told Y/N he had to run, and she watched as he chased the beautiful melanin girl out of the cafe.

I really hope she doesn't fall for his trap, Y/N thought as she turned her attention back to her schoolwork.

After a couple of hours and two macchiatos, Y/N stretched her limbs and yawned. It was only five in the evening, but she was already exhausted. Her exhaust only heightened as she remembered Sasha and Viviana texted her planning to take her out for dinner while she was working. The funk she was in had evidently become apparent to everyone in her life.

She scrolled through her phone for a bit before becoming bored and resorting to people watching. She watched as a couple kissed outside the entrance of the cafe, and as a boy with glasses and a few too many books tripped in the quad. She sighed and closed her eyes before opening them again to see the same couple standing in front of the counter to place an order.

The girl had short black hair and was covered head to toe in baggy clothes. Y/N couldn't knock her, though, the girl was surely comfortable. The guy wore a pair of black sweatpants similar to his girlfriends, and a white long sleeve t-shirt that hugged his muscular arms in the best way.

However, the most appealing thing to Y/N about him was how his long brown hair was thrown into a low hanging messy bun. It reminded her of him.

Almost a whole year and I still find ways to remind myself of him, she thought to herself crossing her arms. Despite how displeased she was with herself she couldn't take her eyes of the mystery man.

Y/N wished the mystery had remained so as her own eyes locked with blue-green pair.

let's hope whoever that girl is ain't crazy lol.
~ ollie