19. a talk

no bc... i suck at updating omg. i was so good in the beginning ugh. writing always has its ups and downs for me. despite the fact that very little is happening in my life besides getting ready for graduation... i am struggling lmao. promise i'll get better!! also literally edited this chapter at 12 a.m. so if there are wayyyy too many grammatical errors, i apologize in advance.
~ollie

"Fuck this," Eren muttered to himself.

He was regretting sending Mikasa a text asking her to come over, but it was what Y/N wanted.

He knew he loved Y/N and yet, it was becoming increasingly harder to ignore his heart splitting in two. He knew that Y/N and Mikasa both loved him, but they showed it in very different ways. Y/N showed just how much she loved him by dealing with his feelings and hers every time Mikasa showed up. Mikasa showed her love through her determination to be with him.

Why the hell is she putting up with this?

It wasn't long before his phone buzzed and stole his attention from his thoughts.

MIKASA
of course.

Just two words, and Eren already knew Mikasa would be at his door in less than five minutes.

If transferring schools and leaving Mikasa behind was as easy as it sounded, he would in a heartbeat. He didn't want to become estranged from Mikasa at all, but she wasn't making this easy from him.

He could tell his patience was slipping from this situation and Y/N's was doing the same. How long could they keep playing this game? Were they even playing on the same team?

A knock at the door pulled Eren away from his pessimistic thoughts and he held back a tired sigh as he went to answer it. Of course, it was Mikasa standing there with a red scarf tied around her neck that Eren had given her within their first month of dating.

"You needed to see me?" She asked with a slight smile.

It annoyed Eren to see her so relaxed when he was so frustrated, "I did," Mikasa started to enter his apartment, but he held a hand up to stop her, "Stop. Just stop."

"Eren?" She reached to lay a hand on his bicep, "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"You have to stop all this shit, Mikasa. I've been so patient with you and you know that I care about you, but you're fucking so much up for me," He continued his rant a bit more forcefully when Mikasa opened her mouth to speak, "I want Y/N, and I'd also like you to stay in my life as a friend if at all possible. You need to leave Y/N alone. If anyone deserves shit in this situation, it's me."

Her mouth twisted into a thin line and her gaze hardened as she looked for the right words, "You're telling me you should be able to get rid of me at the drop of a hat, and I'm expected to just sit back and let it happen? You cheated on Y/N how many times and you love her so much now? That has to be a joke."

He sighed, "It's not. It sounds like it but it's not."

"You're fine with making me wonder why I'm not good enough like Y/N did when you broke her heart?"

"No!" He answered quickly, "and this isn't about her. It's about us."

"There's still an "us"?" Mikasa couldn't stop the small grin appearing on her lips as she saw what she thought was an opening.

"No, that's not what I meant and you know it," he grumbled harshly. "This is about you following people around and stirring shit up. Going after my friends to ask about who I'm seeing. You had that fucking idiot show up at my door."

"Hm, Reiner? He promised not to say anything."

Eren couldn't help but notice the hint of mischievousness hiding under the coldness of Mikasa's voice, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, he's probably just mad that his girlfriend caught us together... you two are alike in more ways than one, you know," she teased with her sly grin now fully developed.

Eren mumbled a string of curse words before turning his attention back to Mikasa, "This shit is fucking weird, Mikasa. That's the best way to describe it. Can you just fucking leave me, Y/N, and anyone else involved with the two of us alone?"

"By anyone else involved, do you mean Jean? The guy she cheated on you with?" She asked, feigning a shocked expression.

"You're making it impossible to tell if you're actually listening to me," he mumbled with his eyes squeezed shut in frustration.

"I am! Of course I am, but I can't help that you're so obviously wrong. I love you, so stop with this nonsense. If you really wanted me gone, you would tell me that instead of avoid—"

"Fine! I want you gone!" Eren's breath was heavy after he yelled into the hallway. He searched Mikasa's eyes to try to figure out if he went too far, only to realize he didn't care.

The past couple of times they'd "talked", he was nice. Obviously he was too nice. He wanted Y/N back in his arms, and he wasn't going to lead Mikasa on or anything like that to keep her at bay.

Just after he and Y/N had finally felt comfortable with each other, Mikasa had to fucking ruin it. She didn't realize that she wasn't giving Eren enough time to really understand that Y/N had, in fact, kissed Jean.

His anger faltered a bit when he noticed tears welling up in Mikasa's grey eyes, "Stop it..." He pleaded with her quietly.

"You know what, Eren?" She whined. "I regret ever being with you!"

If there were any words from Mikasa that were at all capable of break Eren's heart, those were it. He didn't want to be the bad guy in another relationship. Y/N was the only thing holding him back from pulling Mikasa into a warm hug. He watched her walk away stunned as regret clouded his thoughts.

EREN
i did it.

Y/N
thank you.