Chapter 1 - Everything's going downhill

(Come on Izzy, keep up! We don't need that rouge catching onto our scent again) 

Her mother mind liked her as they quietly made their way through the trees between a den of rouges and a pack territory.

(I am keeping up, dads the one lagging, I'm just trying not to trip him up or trip on him.)

I mind linked back playfully as I moved into the tall underbrush at the base of the tree almost bumping into my dad's back.

(For your information Isabella, I'm not lagging.  I'm being cautious because I have a bad feeling. Now shush and stay alert little one.)

My dad replied as he quickly made his way up the tree and through the branches until he was a few feet away. He motioned for us to follow with me going up first and my mother close behind.

We continued in silence for a while and I started to understand the feeling that my father had because I had it now too. It felt like there was a darkness looming around us, getting closer every second. I knew we needed to get out of here and it needed to be now.

(Dad I know you're being cautious but I have that feeling now too and we need to get out of here pronto.)

I mind linked him nervously as we got closer to the end of the pack lines. The neutral zone shouldn't be much further and we would be safer there.

(I know little one but it's better to be safe then to try to be quick about it and be spotted) He replied as we reached the end of the trees.

He quietly dropped to the ground landing on his feet before he turned around and lifted me and then my mother from the trees.

We made our way back into the tall grass and continued to our next safe house in the neutral zone.

———

It was dark as we reached the house and the ominous feeling never left. My dad set about starting a fire in the fireplace while my mom and I worked on dinner.

We had just rolled out the dough for the homemade noodles when I glanced into the living room to see my dad looking off into the distance in thought.

"Hey, what's got you so deep in thought?"
I called out to him as I started cutting noodles.

My dad looked past me towards my mom with pleading eyes " We have to tell her Maria. With the close call we had today I don't know what the future may hold and she needs to know"

My mom looked towards me and I could see tears beginning to form. She shifted her eyes from me to my dad and gave a small nod.

" I agree Richard, I just thought we would have more time." She said sorrowfully as her voice broke at the end. "As did I my love" he replied as he came into the kitchen to console my mom.

"Will someone tell me what the hell is going on and why you're talking about me like I'm not standing right here," I said slightly exasperated as I looked between them.

"come to the living room," my dad said as he wrapped his arms around my mother and gently led her back to the couch in the living room.

I sat on the love seat opposite them and pulled my legs up so I was sitting cross-legged. Once I was comfortable I looked at my dad expectantly.

He took a shaky breath and started as my mom entwined their hands together to help keep him calm.

"Well, to begin with, you know that you were adopted and that no one really knows where you came from before they found you outside the hospital" my dad stated looking towards me. After a moment I nodded and he continued.