FOUR | year 3

BOGGARTS

"Don't be so dramatic, brother." said Cassiopeia, grabbing the Daily Prophet and skimming through it, she noticed a familiar face in the front page. Achintee is not far from Hogwarts. He's coming closer.

"Sirius Black, he's trying to kill me."

His words echoed through her head...that would mean he's coming closer to murder Harry.

"Does it hurt terribly, Draco?" asked Pansy, looking at Draco like he's a dream.

"It comes and goes. Still...I consider myself lucky." began ferret boy.

"Don't encourage him, Parkinson." muttered Cassiopeia.

"According to Madam Pomfrey, another minute or two... and I could've lost the arm."

•••

A tall wardrobe rattles violently, Cassiopeia frowns, regarding it warily along with her classmates.

"Intriguing, yes?" questioned Lupin, "Would anyone a guess as to what's inside?"

"That's a Boggart, that is." said a Gryffindor boy in a hushed voice.

"Very good, Mr. Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." said Hermione, Cassiopeia looks at her, the bushy haired girls' necklace shining. "Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so --"

"Terrifying, yes.  Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart.  Let's practice it now, shall we?  Without wands, please... Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" The students chorused.

"This class is ridiculous." scoffed Draco, as he mutters softly.

"Good.  So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough.  What really finishes a Boggart off is...laughter." He continued to explain, "You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing.  Neville, come up here, will you?"

Neville eyes the rattling wardrobe, steps forward queasily.

"What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?" questioned Lupin.

Neville says something very soft to be even heard by Lupin.

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry."

"Professor Snape." said Neville, looking down embarrassed. The class laughs and Lupin nods.

"Hmmm... yes.  Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either."

"It won't.  But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind.  Can you do that?"

Neville closes his eyes. "She carries a red handbag..."

"That's fine.  We don't need to hear it.  If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you to do..." Lupin leans close to Neville and whispers.  Neville's eyes pop open in shock and he Considers Lupin uncertainly.

" You can do this, Neville." reassured Lupin. Neville nods nervously, takes a deep breath.

"Right then.  Wand at the ready. One.  Two.  Three!" Lupin points his wand on the doorknob and with a click, the wardrobe bursts open. Snape appears, eyes flashing hideously as he stalks forward.