NINE | year 3

A NIGHTLY STROLL

"Oh my," gasped Cassiopeia as she looks up from her book, shocked. "As in the Sirius Black is Harry's godfather?!"

"Ssh!" Hermione shushed her, "That's what he said."

"No way." chuckled Cassiopeia.

"Actually," shrugged Hermione, "We knew after Harry went into the Pub and eavesdropped."

"The time I left you guys?"

"Yep..."

"Damn," muttered Cassiopeia. "I should've been there so I could've sipped all the drama."

Hermione scoffed, shaking her head as she continued scribbling on parchment. "By the way, would you like to come with us later? We're going to Hagrid's."

"Uhh...sure."

•••

Cassiopeia leans on the tree, arms crossed as she watches the half giant, who wears a huge, hairy brown suit and perhaps the ugliest yellow and orange tie, stands knee-deep in the shallows of the Black Lake, skipping stones.

As he turns, the four of them catches a brief sight of his eyes, red with tears. He looks at Cassiopeia, who smiles sweetly at him.

"Hello, Hagrid."

"What is a Malfoy doing here?" asked Hagrid, narrowing his eyes at the girl.

"I invited her to come with us." said Hermione.

"Don't worry, Hagrid." said Harry, casting a brief glance at Cassiopeia. "She's different from her family."

"A little bit." She muttered, soft enough that the others couldn't hear.

Hagrid sighs and nods, then he looks away.

"Well," Hermione pursed her lips. "How'd it go, Hagrid?"

"Buckbeak liked London..."

"I meant the hearing." Hermione pushes.

"Oh. That. Well, I got up an' said my bit—You know, how Buckbeak was good Hippogriff an' as long as yeh treated 'im with respect, he's treat you the same." Hagrid explained, "Then Lucius Malfoy got up an' said his bit."

Cassiopeia grimaced at the mention of her father's name as Hagrid continued.

"You know, how Buckbeak was a deadly dangerous beast that no teacher in their righ' mind would expose their students to..."

"And...?" Hermione dreads it. Hagrid slings another rock into the water. "You mustn't blame yourself, Hagrid."

"Draco." said Ron, turning to Cassiopeia and then to the others. "It's him the Committee should punish. It's him they should send off to the forest. Not Buckbeak. No offence Cassiopeia."

"Oh none taken of course, I wouldn't mind him being sent to the forest."

"Buckbeak's not going back to the forest..." sighed Hagrid, as he swallows a lump on his throat.

"Where is he going, Hagrid?" questioned Hermione.

"He asked fer the worse, yeh see, Lucius Malfoy did. An' the Committee granted it." Hagrid throws a rock, which didn't skip but instead was plopped into the water. "Buckbeak's been sentenced ter death."

Cassiopeia blinked. "What?"

"Couldn't you talk to your father to try and stop it, Cassiopeia?" asked Harry, turning to her.