A Scandal In Belgravia (Part 2)

"Tell us from the start," Sherlock said to their newest client. "Don't be boring."

The man who sat before the three of you had come into the flat in a hurry. Something had happened. Something urgent. Something bad. The man gulped nervously and then nodded, diving into his story:

The client—Phil—explained how he was out in the countryside. His car had broken down. He explained how he was trying to start his car up again, but it was still no use.
Phil got out of the car and, as he did so, he noticed someone standing way down the field. The stranger had his back to Phil and was apparently looking to the sky.
After a minute or two of watching the stranger, Phil climbed back into his car and tried to start the engine. The car suddenly backfired loudly. Phil sighed and looked back out to the field only to find that the stranger was no longer there. Phil got out of the car.
The stranger was lying on the ground...dead.

You came back from work to find Sherlock sitting at the dining table in the living room. He was wearing nothing but a sheet and was on a video chat with John.

"What's going on here?" You asked.

"Investigating," Sherlock answered.

"Oh," You said in response then noticed that Phil—the client—was sitting in John's chair. You smiled politely at him. "Hello."

He smiled and nodded in response. "Hello."

You then turned back to Sherlock. "Why aren't you out there with John?"

Sherlock sighed. "I already explained this once. John and I agreed that there's no point in me leaving the flat for anything less than a seven. This case is clearly a six."

You looked at the screen of the laptop and noticed that John was shaking his head. Sherlock squinted at the screen. "Closer," He demanded.

At that moment, the doorbell rang. You glanced out the door, but Sherlock seemed to be ignoring it.

John flipped the camera around so that his face was now showing. "You said that we agreed on that rating system yesterday. I wasn't even home yesterday, I was in Dublin."

Sherlock brushed it aside. "Well, it's hardly my fault you weren't listening." The doorbell rang again, more insistently. Sherlock turned and yelled down the staircase. "Shut up!"

"D'you just carry on talking when I'm away?" John asked.

"I don't know. How often are you away?"

You leaned forward. "I would say that he does. I often hear him talking when nobody else is around." Sherlock looked up at you. You smiled at him. "Sometimes it's fun to eavesdrop."

"You wouldn't have to eavesdrop. You could come in and chat with me," He said softly. He then turned his attention back to the case. "Now, show me the car that backfired."

John sighed and turned the camera around. Phil's car was still there. "It's there."

"That's the one that made the noise, yes?" Sherlock clarified.

John turned the camera back towards him. "Yeah. And if you're thinking gunshot, there wasn't one. He wasn't shot, he was killed by a single blow to the back of the head from a blunt instrument which then magically disappeared along with the killer. That's gotta be an eight at least."

"I agree with John," You said. "Sounds like a Sherlock Holmes worthy case."

Sherlock leaned back in his chair, thinking hard.

The inspector for the case suddenly came into frame. "You've got two more minutes, then I want to know more about the driver."

"Oh, forget him. He's an idiot," Sherlock said, dismissively waving his hand. "Why else would he think himself a suspect?"