The Final Problem (Part 2)

Knock! Knock! Knock!

You were startled at the sudden noise.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

You sighed and stood up from your sofa. You limped towards your flat door. Whoever was waiting on the other side knocked another three times. You inwardly groaned.

"I'm coming!" You called out so they would stop.

You opened the door to find two detective-looking men standing there. They held up badges in introduction. You closed your eyes in frustration and sighed loudly. Pushing open the door and stepping aside, you gestured for them to enter.

"We're sorry to bother you, Miss y/l/n, but we have a situation of utmost importance," One of the agents said.

The three of you sat at your dining table. You kept your hands folded in front of you, resting them on the tabletop.

"Do you now?" You asked with no emotion.

"Yes," He answered. "It involves Mr. Sherlock Holmes."

You were silent, staring at the agent before you. You shrugged. "So, why bring me into it?"

"You've known Mr. Holmes for many years, have you not?" The other agent questioned.

"You could say that."

"That's why we came to you."

"Why not ask Doctor Watson?" You asked.

"He's...missing, so to speak. So is Mr. Holmes. That's the main reason we're asking questions."

You nodded in slight understanding, but avoided looking at the two agents. You focused on your hands.

"When was the last time you saw Mr. Holmes?"

"Two days ago, when a bomb exploded his flat."

"Do you know where he is now?"

"Am I my neighbors keeper?" You responded sarcastically. The agents did not appear to be amused. You sighed. "No, I don't know where he is. He didn't tell me anything."

"Do you know what his plan is?" One asked.

"He didn't tell me anything," You said again.

The agents shared a look. They didn't seem to believe you. You sighed in annoyance.

"Look, Sherlock left me behind. If I knew where he was or what he was planning, believe me, I'd tell you."

The first agent nodded. "All right, Miss y/l/n. We believe you."

They got up from their seats and started heading towards the door. You stood as well and followed them, only out of common courtesy. Before leaving though, the second agent turned back.

"Just let us know if you hear anything. If he gets in touch with you or if you see him." He held out a business card.

You took it, but didn't look at it. "Is he in trouble?" You asked.

"Don't know," He said. "If he's not, he probably will be soon." He nodded in thanks to you. "Thank you for your time. Let us know if anything comes up."

With that, the two agents left your flat. You closed the door quickly and locked it. You immediately threw the business card away.
You let out a shaky breath, knowing what you had just done. You had just lied. You lied and lied and lied. You knew exactly where Sherlock was. You knew exactly what his plan was. The only thing true you said was that Sherlock had left you behind and that hurt you more than anything.