A Study In Pink (Part 3)

"How can it be here? How?" Sherlock asked nobody in particular.

The confusion in the room made everyone pause. Their tasks seemed meaningless now as the new knowledge of Jennifer Wilson's phone being at 221 Baker Street had been announced.

"Well, maybe it was in the case when you brought it back and it fell out somewhere," The detective suggested.

"What, and I didn't notice it? Me?" Sherlock shot back.

"Anyway, we texted him and he called back," John added.

The detective must have ignored what they said because he turned to his colleagues. "Guys, we're also looking for a mobile somewhere here. Belonged to the victim-"

"Did you not just hear what they said?" You interrupted. "If it were here, Sherlock would have noticed it. But it obviously can't be here because the murderer has it. And they know this because John texted him and he called back."

The detective stared at you for a long minute. You huffed and crossed your arms.

"Sherlock, you okay?" You heard John ask.

You turned to find Sherlock staring out the door, a distracted look on his face. He almost seemed to be in a trance.

"Sherlock?" You said, a moment away from snapping your fingers in his face.

"What? Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." He answered, having just processed John's question.

"So, how can the phone be here?" John asked.

You watched Sherlock carefully. He was up to something.
But you also thought about John's question. How could the phone be here?

"Dunno," Sherlock said.

"I'll try it again," John said, walking back to the laptop to retrace the phone.

'He thinks it's a glitch.'

"Good idea," Sherlock began to walk away after that. He headed out the door.

John did a double take as he came to this realization. "Where are you going?"

"Fresh air. Just popping outside for a moment. Won't be long," Sherlock called back.

"You sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine!" The next minute, the sound of the heavy black door downstairs opening and closing filled your ears.

'What is he doing?'

You stepped over to the window and saw Sherlock talking to a cab driver. You furrowed your eyebrows. You turned back to the room. "The GPS said that the phone was here. And we've all agreed that the murderer has the phone," You said, thinking out loud.

"Yes," John answered. He was looking down at his phone, typing something.

"The only possible explanation then would be that the murderer is here," You concluded.

"But that doesn't make any sense. No one's here but us," The detective said.

"Yes, but couldn't it also be someone not in this building? The murderer could be across the street, or next door, or..." You trailed off, a sudden realization striking you.
You felt stupid for already having taken these last few minutes trying to figure it out. You must have just seen him. "...outside." You finished your sentence.