The Empty Hearse (Part 1)

A/n: IMPORTANT NOTE!
Before you guys start reading this, I just wanted to make one thing clear so as not to have people confused.
So, the very first part of this chapter is going to be a sort of recap/flashback of the last chapter. Specifically, it will be the rooftop scene through Sherlock's perspective.
This being said, I did not want to do the whole big scene between Sherlock and Moriarty, so I summed it all up. I took certain quotes from certain parts and mashed it into the recap in a way that I hope makes sense.
Thank you all so much for reading and supporting me this far! I am very excited and so proud of myself for getting to this point! I hope you guys enjoy and stay tuned for more chapters to come! I have such big plans and can't wait for you to read it all!
Love you guys a crazy bunch! 😜💖

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Here we are at last—you and me, Sherlock, and our problem—the final problem!"

Sherlock Holmes and Jim Moriarty stood on the roof of St. Bartholomew's Hospital in the early morning sun.

"Now, shall we finish the game?" Jim asked the consulting detective. "One final act. Glad you chose a tall building—nice way to do it."

"Do it? Do-do what?"

It only took a moment for the answer to become clear to Sherlock.

"Yes, of course. My suicide."

"'Genius detective proved to be a fraud.' I read it in the paper, so it must be true. I love newspapers—fairytales."

The two men looked over the edge of the building to the ground far below.

"And pretty Grimm ones too."

Sherlock was not yet willing to die though. He faced the consulting criminal. "I can still prove that you created an entirely false identity."

Jim looked rather annoyed. "Oh, just kill yourself. It's a lot less effort. Go on. For me. Pleeeaaaase?"

Abruptly, Sherlock grabbed Moriarty by his coat collar and held him just over the edge of the roof. "You're insane!" Hissed Sherlock.

"You're just getting that now?"

Sherlock pushed the criminal farther back causing him to shriek in slight panic.

"Okay, let me give you a little extra incentive." Jim smiled. "Your friends will die if you don't."

Fear coursed through the detective's core. He imagined a gun trained on you.

"Y/n."

"Not just, y/n. Everyone."

John being targeted by a sniper.

"John."

"Everyone."

"Mrs. Hudson."

"Everyone."

"Lestrade."

"Four bullets; four gunsmen; four victims. There's no stopping them now."

Sherlock pulled Jim back to safety on the rooftop.

"Unless my people see you jump."

"No, I don't have to die...if I've got you."

Jim nodded. "As long as I'm alive, you can save your friends." He smiled. "Well good luck with that."

He lifted his hand, putting the barrel of a gun into his mouth. The gun fired and Jim Moriarty fell to the ground dead. Sherlock reacted quickly, stumbling away from the now dead consulting criminal.
Panting hard, Sherlock turned his attention back to the roof's edge. With shaking legs, he stepped back onto the ledge. On the street below, he saw a cab pull up. He quickly grabbed his phone and called you.