The Lying Detective (Part 6)

You were running full speed down the hospital halls. John was hot on your heels. The two of you had arrived only minutes ago and were now hurrying towards the room that Sherlock resided in. As you came down the hall, you noticed that the security guard that was supposed to be keeping watch at the detective's door was missing. Just his cap sat on the chair positioned there.
You didn't stop to question that factor. Instead, you grabbed hold of the handle and turned it, trying to push the door open. It didn't budge. A new panic set in. You tried the handle again, but you wound up with the same result. Your heart pounded hard against your chest, and your breathing sped up.

"It's...it's l-locked," Your voice was shaky as a panic attack started to take over you. "It's locked!" Your hand shook while you continued to twist the door handle. "It's locked! It's locked! Sherlock!" You pounded on the door.

"Y/n!" John grabbed your arm and pulled you away from the door.

Your whole body was shaking and felt numb. "He's going to die. I'm going to lose him again. I'm going to lose him too," You rambled frantically. All the panic you had felt from the moment you'd seen the news report with Smith was pouring out of you in this moment.

"Y/n, breathe."

You blinked rapidly, trying to focus back in. It wasn't working very well. "I'm going to lose him too," You said softly, your voice cracking.

"Breathe, okay?" He started looking around as you began to take deep breaths. "We will find another way in." He brought you over to the chair by the door, moved the officer's hat, and sat you down in it. "Stay here. I'll be right back." He walked briskly away with an air of determination.

You wrapped your arms around yourself, rocking back and forth. "I can't lose him too. Can't lose him. Please, please, please, please."

The sound of rapid footsteps caught your attention. Glancing over, you saw John coming back, and in his hands he held a fire extinguisher. The security guard was also with him. You stood up.

"Back up a bit," John told you.

You did as instructed. John positioned himself in front of the door, pulling the fire extinguisher back as he prepared to smash the door in.

"Please, please, please, please," You whispered.

BANG!

The door flew in. John dropped the fire extinguisher and hurried into the room. You followed right after him.

"Sherlock!" You cried out.

John grabbed Smith, who had been leaning over Sherlock's bed, and pulled him away roughly. "What were you doing to him? What were you doing?!"

You ran to Sherlock's bedside. "Sherlock."

Upon hearing your voice, Sherlock reached over for you. His hand found your arm and he grabbed hold of it tightly. You winced in pain, but refrained from crying out, for he had grabbed your injured arm. He panted heavily as though he had been deprived of air. You assumed that had been the case.

"He's in distress! I-I'm helping him!" Smith pitifully explained.

John tossed him over to the officer. "Restrain him, now. Do it."

The officer grabbed one of Smith's arms and held him back a bit, but did nothing else to restrain him.

"I was trying to help him!" Smith cried.

"Likely story," You snapped, barely glancing back at the man.

"Sherlock, what was he doing to you?" John asked, obviously not believing Smith either.