The Sign of Three (Part 6)

~Flashback~

"Alright. Lesson One," You began, standing in front of the fireplace with a small chalkboard. On said chalkboard, you had the words 'Lesson One' written out, "Presentation. You need to know how to give a speech properly in front of people."

Sherlock scoffed. "I already know how to do that."

"No." You shook your head. "You know how to rattle off deductions in a fast-pace that makes it quite difficult for anyone to remember all the information you're giving. That is a big NO!"

"Point taken."

"Good. Proper speech giving requires three things: good posture, making eye contact with your audience, and proper annunciation." You placed your hands on your hips. "Now stand up. We'll work on posture first."

The next day rolled around and, with it, came lesson two. You stood with your hands clasped behind your back. "You'll want to have your speech memorized as much as possible."

"What if I forget something?" The detective questioned.

From behind your back, you produced a pack of index cards.

"These will be your guide!"

Day three came, bringing along lesson three as well.

"Weddings and murder do not mix!" You declared. "So, when you're giving your speech, do not talk about murder."

"But-"

"No buts!" You interrupted. "The biggest rule is no murder!"

"But, y/n, I already wrote my speech and I use two of our previous cases as examples," Sherlock explained.

"You did?"

He nodded and walked to the dining table. He sorted through his notes until he found both cases. You took the papers and read through it. You glanced up at him for a moment, saw the pleading look in his eyes, and sighed. "Okay, okay. This will be acceptable. Though in my opinion, you should have gone with The Case of the Elephant in the Room."

Sherlock chuckled and looked down at his notes. You smiled as well and tucked a strand of hair behind your ear.

"But other than that..." You pointed your finger at him sternly. "...no murder!"

The fourth day was the last of speech tutoring. On this day, you simply had a review lesson.

"Well, Sherlock. We've come to the end of our lessons," You said, pretending to be distraught. "The only comfort I find is in the hope that you have taken away some valuable information from my lessons."

Sherlock could not keep a straight face and was smiling widely, trying to keep back his laughter. You couldn't hold back either and together you both burst into laughter.

"But, honestly, though, I do hope you learned something."

"I did, indeed," He assured you.

"Run me through everything you got from my tutoring."

Sherlock nodded. "Let's see. You showed me proper posture, proper annunciation, and to make sure I keep eye contact with my audience."

You nodded along. "Very good."

"I now have my speech on notecards to help guide me."

You smiled. "Good! And what's our one big rule?"

"No murder."

"Wonderful!" You clapped your hands in delight.

Sherlock smiled at your excited reaction. "You taught me a lot, y/n. I just wish there was some way for me to repay you."