The Lying Detective (Part 4)

A/n: Ayyyye! Happy Birthday to me!!! 🥳
On this joyous day of mine that officially marks 19 years of my existence, I come giving you all the gift of the next chapter! Woohoo!
I'm getting more and more excited as this story progresses and I hope you all feel the same way!
I can't thank you guys enough for being here all this time! You guys have influenced my life so much! If it weren't for each of you, I would not be at college right now pursuing a degree in Professional Writing. I'm seriously following my dream and am thrilled to see where my path will lead! And it's all thanks to you all, my lovely readers!
I really wanted to tell you guys how much of an impact you've had on my life. I am forever grateful for each of you. Thank you so much for supporting me on this journey!
I seriously love you all a crazy bunch! 🥺💖

~Crazygirlp13

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You, Sherlock, John, and Culverton walked down another hallway. This one was a bright white-painted hall. Mr. Smith was still giving you all his tour of the hospital.

"Where are we going now?" Sherlock asked.

"Well, I told you that I wanted to show you my favorite room," Smith answered, glancing back at everyone.

Sherlock looked to the right, finding interest in what was inside the room there. "No, let's go in here."

Without waiting for permission or affirmation, he stepped right inside. You followed in after him, John and Culverton joining next. You stared at the long conference table with eight chairs placed around it. Drug stands sat beside each of them. Sherlock waltzed around the table, gesturing at it all.

"So, you've had another one of your little meetings?"

Your eyebrows furrowed. "What meetings?"

"Oh, it's just a monthly top-up," Smith said, only half-answering your question. "Confession is good for the soul...providing you can delete it."

John looked closely at one of the bags hanging from a stand. "What's TD-12?"

You also observed one of the bags, locating the drug's name.

"It's a memory inhibitor," Sherlock said.

"Bliss," Smith countered.

"Bliss?" John questioned.

"Opt-in ignorance. Makes the world go round."

Sherlock folded his arms over his chest. "Anyone ever 'opt' to remember?"

"Some people take the drip out, yeah," Smith said. "Some people have the same...urges."

You stepped forward. "Okay, I see what happens here," You said. "You call a meeting with your faculty or friends, whoever strikes your fancy. Everyone gathers round the table where you hook them up with the memory drug and then you..." You looked up at the ceiling as though you were searching for words, even though you knew exactly what you were going to say. You shrugged. "...oh, I don't know, tell them you kill people?"

Culverton smirked, chuckling quietly. You smiled back, playing along with him as he pretended you simply made a joke. He shook his head.

"Oh, this is what endless fun looks like, isn't it, Mr. Holmes?" He turned around. Your smile—fake as it was—vanished from your face in an instant, turning instead into a sneer. "Come on," Mr. Smith beckoned. "Wasting time."

"Indeed," Sherlock agreed. He held up his arm, looking at the watch on his wrist. "You have—I estimate—twenty minutes left." With a smile on his face, the detective walked towards the door.