The Empty Hearse (Part 3)

"No Sherlock! Don't you dare do this!"

You stared at the consulting detective as he stood on the edge of the hospital roof. Tears had begun to slip down your cheeks.

"Please come down. Please."

"I can't, y/n."

"You have to..."

"I'm sorry."

Panic shot through you. Sherlock was about to jump from the building. You needed to stop him. So, you decided to say something—something you hoped would talk him down.

"But I...I have to say something to you."

Sherlock said nothing, not knowing how to respond.

"It's something I've wanted to say for a long time, but have never had the strength to do so." You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. "Sherlock I...I...I lo-"

"Goodbye, y/n," Sherlock interrupted you.

"No..." You said, your voice breaking.

Sherlock tossed his phone aside, spread his arms out and dropped off the ledge.

"SHERLOCK!"

You ran forward, desperately hoping that you could stop this from happening. But there was nothing you could do. You saw his body hit the ground. You immediately felt numb as you stared at his lifeless form.
Some part of your brain must have still been functional enough to pull you forward until you stood just beside his body. Nobody else was around. You dropped to your knees, taking his cold hand in yours.

"Sherlock..." You sobbed silently as you came to realize your best friend—the man you loved—was dead. "Please come back."

Suddenly, a hand grasped your own. You shrieked and tried to pull away, but the grip was too tight. You looked down and realized that Sherlock was the one holding onto you.

"Y/n..." He began to push himself up. "...I'm back."

Then, with speed you'd never seen before, he thrust himself towards you, as though he were going to attack. You screamed in terror and fell away from him...

...You woke up in your flat quite abruptly, screaming loudly. You were panting and your heart beat painfully hard in your chest. It took you a full minute before you realized that you were safe. You had just begun to calm down when a knock at your flat door startled you.

"Y/n!" Sherlock called out.

It was strange and disorienting hearing his voice again. He sounded worried, which was understandable since he probably heard you screaming. You approached the door slowly, not sure if you wanted to see or even talk to the consulting detective right now.

"I'm all right, Sherlock." Your shaking voice betrayed the words you spoke.
There was silence on the other side of the door. You wondered if he was still there or if he had just gone back upstairs.

"Are you sure?" He questioned, revealing the former to be true.

"Yes, I'm fine," You responded firmly. "It was just a bad dream."

Another long pause on Sherlock's side of the door. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No. And even if I did, you would be the last person I'd want to talk to right now."

Saying those words hurt both Sherlock and even you, deep down. But you stood by what you said. You were still mad at him.

"I'm sorry," He said. "I'll leave you alone now."