His Last Vow (Part 4)

"He's gone."

Your heart jolted. "What do you mean 'he's gone'?"

"I don't know," John responded. "He's...we walked into his room and he wasn't there anymore. He left."

You looked out your flat window, biting your thumbnail.

"Any ideas as to where he might go?"

You remained silent for a good long minute. John had to say your name to get you to finally answer. "I'm not sure," You said. "Without knowing his reason for leaving, I don't know where to look."

"All right." John sighed. "Well, I'll start asking around. See if anyone else might know."

"Okay."

"I'll talk to you later."

You pulled your phone away from your ear, still staring out the window. Millions of thoughts were running rampant through your mind.

'Sherlock's gone...disappeared...where? Why'd he leave? Where is he going? What is he doing?'

You shook your head to stop the thoughts. Spinning around to your flat, you decided to sort through what little information you had. You started small and worked your way through this puzzle.

'Sherlock's gone.'

This was the most obvious point of the situation.

'He disappeared from the hospital—still injured.'

At this thought, you felt a slight panic.

'Why did he leave?'

The questions began. What would motivate Sherlock Holmes to leave his hospital room and disappear into the night? He would have a logical reason. He always did. After all, when he jumped off the roof of St. Bart's hospital, he had a reason. He was doing it to protect you and John.
This realization caused you to gasp. That must be it! Sherlock was trying to protect someone—whether it was you and/or John remained unclear, but he must be protecting someone!

'Where might he go?'

This was a more difficult question. He could go any number of places. It all depended on who Sherlock was protecting and what he was protecting them from.

'What is he doing?'

The final question your mind brought up. You had already come to an answer for this question. He was protecting someone from something. You closed your eyes and sat down on your couch.
As you sat there, one more thing occurred to you.

'Is Sherlock going to be okay?'

***

You stood in Sherlock's flat with Mrs. Hudson. You held your phone against your ear, but it was simply ringing out. After coming home from work, you realized that you had several missed phone calls from Sherlock. You were trying to call him back, but he was not answering. You groaned frustratedly and lowered your phone.

"You said John went to meet with Sherlock somewhere?" You asked the landlady.

"Yes, dear. But I'm not sure where they went."

You sighed. "I'll try calling again."

Just as you were about to hit the call button, the door opened. John walked in first and he did not look happy at all. In fact, he looked angry.

"John," You said.

Mrs. Hudson came hurrying into the room. Mrs. Watson entered next.

"Mary!" The landlady said.