The Empty Hearse (Part 4)

John Watson's breath hitched in his throat. He was staring down at a massive bomb wired into a tube car that had gone missing days prior. The timer on the bomb read "2:30," but it had not begun to count down yet. Sherlock Holmes stared wide eyed at the bomb.

"We need bomb disposal," John said.

"There may not be time for that now," Sherlock responded.

"So what do we do?"

Sherlock paused, thinking for a moment. "I have no idea."

"Well, think of something."

"Why do you think I know what to do?"

"Because you're Sherlock Holmes," John answered. "You're as clever as it gets."

"Doesn't mean I know how to diffuse a giant bomb!" The consulting detective retorted. "What about you?"

"I wasn't in bomb disposal. I'm a bloody doctor."

"And a soldier," Sherlock said, pointing his flashlight at John angrily, "as you keep reminding us all."

They looked down at the bomb again. The timer was still frozen at "2:30."

"Can't-can't we rip the timer off or something?" John questioned.

"That would set it off," Sherlock said as though it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"You see? You know things!"

Sherlock sighed and turned away. He was beginning to come to the realization that he and John were standing in a tube-car-sized bomb. If they couldn't diffuse it, they would surely die, as well as everyone in Parliament.
He had just thought of you when the lights in the carriage suddenly turned on. He spun around and both boys looked down at the bomb. The countdown had begun. Sherlock felt like he had suddenly been punched in the gut. From the looks of it, John seemed to feel the same way.

"My god!" John exclaimed, breathing fast.

Panic taking over, Sherlock started to pace, his mind racing.

"Why didn't you call the police?" John asked.

"Please just..." Sherlock started.

"Why do you never call the police?!"

"Well, it's no use now!" Sherlock looked back down at the bomb. It was down to "2:15."

John's emotions took the better of him and he began shouting. "So, you can't switch the bomb off! You can't switch the bomb off, and you didn't call the police!"

Sherlock rubbed his face with his hands. He turned away from his friend for a moment. In that time, his brain brought the image of you back. You stood before him.

"You have to find a way to save John," You told him.

Thinking he had the answer for that, he turned to his former flatmate. "Go, John." He pointed towards the door. "Go now."

John would not have it though. "There's no point now, is there, because there's not enough time to get away; and if we don't do this..." He indicated the mother bomb. "...other people will die!"

The timer was down to "1:57." You stepped up beside Sherlock.

"You have to disarm it, Sherlock. The only way to save John and yourself is to turn off the bomb."

"Mind palace," John said suddenly.

Sherlock blinked once as he tuned back in to reality. "Hmm?"

"Use your mind palace."