five

Valentina Spencer

I didn't sleep when I got home that night.

Instead, I scanned every room in my house, before making another coffee and sitting on my couch, fully alert.

I heard a knock at the door, and grabbed my gun before opening the door, holding my weapon behind my back.

"Where the fuck were you?" I heard Nat ask softly, and I sighed.

She was sitting on the chair on my porch, her head in her hands.

"You didn't call when you get home, like you usually do."

I smiled softly, placing my gun on the hallway stand and gesturing for her to come inside.

"Look, let's make some pancakes and we can talk about it, Nat."

She sighed, walking in and looking at me.

"Only because I want pancakes."

"Chocolate chip?"

"Of course." She scoffed, as if it was obvious, which it honestly was.

I made a batch of blueberry pancakes for me, and a batch of chocolate chip ones for Nat, making her a coffee to go with it.

We sat at the kitchen table, and she immediately dug in, moaning in happiness.

"Alright, you can talk now." She grumbled, making me chuckle.

"Well, do you want the short story, or the long one?"

"Long, obviously." Nat shot back, and I sighed to myself.

"I met this charming man at the bar when I got there. I knew shortly after we met that he worked with Stark, I could tell. I led him on, laughed, danced with him, and drank some more. He asked to go somewhere more quiet, and I had a feeling it would lead to Tony so I said yes."

"Val, what if-" Nat said, but I cut her off.

"It's fine, nothing happened between us. We went into a big room, and Stark was there. Steve left us alone, and I made my move. Tony and I wrestled, but Steve spiked my drink, and I blacked out before I could kill him. They took me somewhere else, I think Stark Tower. I managed to escape in the middle of the night. Now I'm here."

"Holy shit Valentina, that's crazy. What are you gonna do?" She asked, sipping her coffee, fully invested in the story.

"I'm going to stick to the plan, killing Tony Stark." I said, taking a bite of my pancakes.

Delicious.

Compliments to the chef.

"Alright, you have my full support." Nat smiled, placing her hand on mine.

"Thankyou, I'm glad."

• • •

Nat and I were sitting on the couch, watching a movie, but I wasn't really paying attention.

It's never taken me this long to finish a job before, and I knew Marshall wasn't going to be happy with me about it.

After sitting there for a while, I realised I left my dress at Tony's place.

Shit, that was expensive.

My phone buzzed on the other side of the table, so Nat grabbed it for me, telling me it was an unknown number before handing it over.

Atleast I know it's not Marshall, but who is it?

I don't talk to anyone that's not from work, or Nat.