twenty five

Valentina Spencer

Once midnight had rolled around, I found myself standing outside the old compound, remembering what my friends had told me.

Tony kissed me before I left, and we knew everyone saw it, but neither of us cared.

He wanted to say goodbye, just incase.

The guards let me in, and I walked straight to Marshall's office, easily remembering the route.

I didn't bother knocking on the door, I just walked straight in, closing the door behind me without breaking eye contact with Marshall.

"So, you've come crawling back." He said, and I crossed my arms over my chest, scoffing.

"I wouldn't say I'm crawling. I'm quite clearly standing, am I not?" I asked, making Marshall smirk knowingly.

"I see you still have your wit, Valentina."

"I see you still have your guy after me." I responded, feeling his presence behind me, but I didn't turn around.

He must have been behind the door.

"I have to make sure you're not going to do anything you'd regret." Marshall said simply, and in other words, if I killed Marshall, Bucky would kill me.

It made sense, really.

"I want my job back." I said, and Marshall nodded once in understanding.

"What makes you say I'd give it to you?"

"I'm the best agent you ever had, and will ever have." I said confidently, making him smirk.

"That is true, that is very true."

"So take me back, it's simple." I shrugged nonchalantly, but Marshall seemed unconvinced.

"What made you come here?"

"I realised very quickly after my departure that I don't really roll with the hero types." I said, trying to be as vague as possible.

"So in other words, the Avengers are boring you." Marshall put the words in my mouth, and I smiled fakely at him.

"Yeah, you could say that."

"No, I don't buy it." He said, making me roll my eyes.

"You left the League because you refused to kill Stark, it's undeniable that you're soft for him."

Yeah, I'm soft for him, and he's hard for me.

"No, it's just a lot harder to kill an Avenger than you might think." I tried to play it cool, making Marshall tap his pen on the desk, not believing me.

"I thought you could kill anyone, Valentina." He tutted, and it took everything I had not to throw up athjs condescending attitude.

Don't talk down to me, dickhead.

"Are you going to take me back, or not?" I sighed, looking at my nails to exude confidence, making Marshall nod.

"Yeah, we'll take you."

"Great, I-" I started, but before I could finish my sentence, Bucky grabbed me from behind, holding a cloth over my mouth.

Well, it's not the first time I've been drugged and I absolutely doubt it'll be the last.

Thanks for that, Steve.

•••

I woke up bound incredibly tightly to a chair, making me roll my eyes at the cliche of it.