Nine

So it’s Christmas.

          I’m spending it alone, which, I don’t really mind since I prefer just sitting alone in the living room, reading a cool book. Mom called up last night, saying she had more stuff to settle with her sister over the other side of the globe so she couldn’t make it back in time, and Cody, has his own family to celebrate Christmas with.

          The past two weeks flew by quickly with no dramas and everything was fun. Chelsea didn’t return, which was probably one of the best news ever. But what wasn’t the best was the fact that my illness was worsening day by day, and I think it would be rather difficult to hide it now. The cancer cells were slowly starting to spread faster and I really don’t know what to do.

          I thought it wouldn’t be so quick, since I’m only at the first stage.

          Boy, was I wrong.

          Turning on the music player, the original song of All I Want for Christmas came on. I sat on the sofa and hummed along to the song, as I closed my eyes. Wow, how I wish one day there would be snow, the kind of snow that has flakes, are pretty and able to be played with. Like the ones you get in New York City! I’ve never touched snow, before. I wonder how it feels like. I’ve never even been to the snow resort!

          Sigh, I want to experience a white Christmas, for once.

          “Be my date this Christmas eve, be my holiday; my dream?” Somebody sang behind me, making me jump in surprise. I turned to that person who had voiced out, with obviously one of the biggest smiles on my face and bolted straight up from the couch, running over to Cody.

          Well, he was standing between the kitchen and the dining table and he looked so good in his tank top, shorts and―well, flip flops. Simple and good, I don’t get how he can pull it off so easily each time, actually.

          I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug, and lingered there for a while because―there’s too many reasons.

          One: I just wanted to hug him. What can I say, I love my Christmas present.

          Two: What if I don’t get to hug him like this, again?

          Three:  I missed him.

          Four: I just like hugging him.

          “Merry Christmas, babe,” he whispered softly into my ear, tightening his arm around my waist, pulling me closer. I grinned. He’s the only person besides Mom who could make me so happy.

          “Merry Christmas, Cody,” I pulled away lightly, “what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be celebrating Christmas with your family?” His present was in my room! I wanted to give it to him after dinner, but he beat me to it. Wow.

          “Oh,” he raised an eyebrow, keeping his hand firm on my hip, “so you don’t want me here? Oh, I get it, okay. Sure. Fine. Oh.”

          “You’re an idiot,” I scrunched my nose up and shot him a playful glare, “of course I want you here.” I’m cherishing every moment with you every day because I don’t know when my cancer is going to take the best of me and―yeah.

          “I was kidding!” He chuckled, his eyes in shades of brown with a little glint, tonight. The fact that his eyes changes colors in seasons is just amazing. “Well, we’ve all kind of finished the celebration, so I thought I’d drop by and pass you your present.”