Ten

“And make sure you call me every night.”

           “Okay, Mom.”

           “And make sure you rest well and take whatever medicine that you need.”

           “I know, Mom.”

           “And make sure you take extremely good care of yourself.”

           I let out a loud laugh before pulling Mom into another big hug, a hug that I would definitely miss when I’m out on the road with Cody. It feels like I haven’t hugged her for a year, wow. She wrapped her arms around me and swayed us lightly from side to side before the both of us patted each other’s back once and hard, then pulling back.

           It’s a tradition. We came up with that when I was seven. She shot me a smile, and I couldn’t help smiling back. “You take care, Mom. And while I’m away, I think it’s time you found yourself another man to take care of you."

           “You have to stop worrying about me,” she placed her hands on my shoulders and gave them the lightest squeeze ever, “I do not need anyone else but my baby girl. So if you want me happy, you’re going to quit talking about other men and start caring for yourself. Clear?” She was wearing a warning expression, and I absolutely understood every word.

           Best mother in the world.

           “Crystal,” I said, flashing her one last smile. “I should probably get going.”

           “Yes,” she let out a breath, and I swear I could see tears welling up in her eyes. She didn’t let me acknowledge that fact, though. She waved Cody over from the end of the bus and made the both of us stand before her. “You two, are going to take care of yourself, you hear?”

           “Yes, Diane,” Cody let out a chuckle, slipping his fingers between mine, “we will. And I’ll take extra care of your daughter so don’t worry.”

           Mom gave us a nod of approval before flashing us another smile, and said, “Go on! Don’t keep the others waiting. I’ll see you two soon.”

           Cody turned to me with an expression that was like, ‘Are-you-ready?’ so in response, I nodded and allowed him to lead us up to the tour bus. Deep down, I could feel a little bit of pain coming from my kidneys but I didn’t want to acknowledge it. Not now.

           Whatever happens, happens. Whatever I feel, I feel. I’m not going to acknowledge it and neither am I going to show it. Cody still doesn’t know. Hell, no one else knows about my illness besides, Mom, my doctor and me.

           Plopping down on one of the couches located at the end of the bus, Cody pulled me down on his lap with a swift motion and secured his arms around my waist, holding me close. My heart began dancing. I tilted my head to the side and flashed him a smile, trying to hide a blush from making its way up to my cheeks. “You excited?”

           “Oh, hell yes,” he said, leaning forward and nuzzling his face in the crook of my neck, warming me up from the cooling air-conditioner in the bus. “I can’t wait to show them what I have planned. Do you think they’ll like it?”

           I locked my arms around his neck and rested my head against his, “You know, I’m a fan myself but I don’t even know what you have planned, and I’m getting pretty excited already so in a fan’s point of view, they’re not just going to like it, they’re going to love it.”

           “Oh, God, I love the way you make me feel,” I clasped a hand over my mouth to hide a giggle. I hope he realizes something. Oh, yeah, he definitely did. “Sorry, that sounded wrong. I meant to say, I love how you excite me further.” Then he pulled back with the longest face I’ve ever seen him wear. “I’m not speaking normally today, I’m sorry.”