Eight

“Don’t worry, Mer, relax.”

          I turned my head and stared at the chuckling, blond Australian, next to me. Did he seriously just say what I think he just did? Oh wow, he just took my definition of incredulous to a whole new level; I don’t even think I understand the word now.

          A little too exaggerated, but I’m serious. He shouldn’t tell me that a time like that. It’s crazy. “Cody, this is a serious matter… You know that, right? And I’m like, the cause of that.”

          “Babe,” he reached out and rested his hand on my arm reassuringly, shooting me a smooth smile right after. I kept staring at him with the deep frown on my face. “Turn that frown upside down, and hakuna matata. I can protect myself! Now I just gotta think of a way for you to be safe.”

          I groaned and slapped his arm, feeling genuinely defeated. “Can you please stop worrying about me, and start worrying about yourself? I can handle this on my own! You’re so stubborn!”

          “Oh,” he pulled his hand away and held out his index finger at me with an amused expression, “says the girl who wouldn’t stop telling me to be safe when I’m a guy?” The next thing I heard was his musical laughter and my hair being ruffled. “Oh, you’re too cute.”

          I scrunched my nose up and shook my head furiously, trying to flatten my hair. Not to mention how hot my cheeks grew at his words. Well, that’s…random. But in a while I won’t be cute anymore… And my hair… They would be gone. Smiling, I rolled my eyes and let out a huge breath, letting him know I’d really given up.

          “Okay, good,” he winked, making me burst out laughing. “Anyway, Merinda, I have something serious to tell you. Or, ask you, anyway.”

          I cocked my head to the side, still staring at him. Yeah, I guess it’s pretty obvious since he used my full name. And his look was radiating off anxiety, making me feel even more curious than I already am. So I opened my mouth and asked him back. “So what is it? Don’t just stare at me like that.”

          He let out a chuckle that warmed my insides, leaving an aftereffect though; tingles.

          “Okay, well…you know, I’m going back on tour soon,” is my vision getting blurry? Why is it getting blurry? Is it raining in the house? What’s going on? “And I wa―aw, no, don’t cry, Mer.” A small grin appeared on his face as he raised his hand and wiped something off my cheek, gently.

          I blinked at him. I’m not crying! “I’m not crying, Cody.”

          Probably assuming something, he rolled his eyes before laughing, “Okay, if you say so, Merinda.”

          “Go on speaking,” I hurried him, because I wanted to know more about it. I’ve seen this day coming. Oh, I really did. But I didn’t expect it to be so soon because I was too busy trying to run away from reality. “And I’m still not crying, just so you know.”

          He dropped his hand and nodded, seeming like he was playing along, making me raise my eyebrows. However, I didn’t protest again, this time. Darting his eyes right into mine he drew in a deep breath, that somehow made me want to laugh for some unknown reason.

          I held it back in completely fine, though.

          “I’m going back on tour, and… Merinda, do you―do you wanna come with me?” He nibbled on his lower lip as he kept his intent gaze on me, never once leaving, making me feel self-counscious-slash-slightly nervous.