Twenty-four

Cody:

          Plopping herself down on Merinda’s bed, Alli propped her elbows on her knees for support as she leaned forward, trying to get a closer look of the beautiful figure that was sleeping peacefully on the bed―one that I initially had absolutely no intention to hurt; one that I hope I still could call mine after what happened.

          I was worried sick, and the tension in this room most definitely wasn’t easing anything inside of me. I could tell Alli was beginning to grow impatient due to the stress she was imposing onto herself the moment she heaved a loud, airy sigh.

          She pulled herself back up enough to slap both of her palms across her thighs, imitating Merinda and what she would do if she were to be too anxious over something.

          “Mer, do you know what time it is?” Alli began, curling her fingers into her palm as they settled finely above her knees. “Is that a yes?” She paused, as though expecting a respond from Merinda, which was obviously impossible. “I’ll take it as a no. So I’ll take this as my cue to warn you that it’s time you wake up from bed, and open your big eyes and look at my face, you woman.”

          As grateful as I was, to know that I actually have her as Merinda’s wake up call, I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of emotion in me that told me I should at least tell Alli to detract her words and stay silent, if she could.

          “Alli, I think you’re disturbing her…” I mumbled in a hushed tone, fearful of being heard by anyone, even if it were just me and Alli in the same room as Merinda.

          “Do I look like I give a shit?” Alli harshly spat, turning around to face me the moment I had ended my statement. “I’m not the dipshit for a guy who would rather walk out on his own girlfriend with some female dog who’s dumb like a box of rocks, or even worse, and even treat her like she’s invisible when she’s supposed to be at the top of your priorities.”

          I rolled my lips into my mouth and dropped my gaze down to my shoes like a little boy who had been caught doing something wrong, and was reflecting on his unethical behavior. You deserved that, I reminded myself, you truly did, even if you were the one who had saved her from the bathroom.

          I closed my eyes.

“You screwed up, bro,” Justin honestly stated, staring at me as he shook his head, “you really, really did.” Then his gaze moved down to the girl lying down on my lap, and without another word being said, he walked towards his own bunk and I couldn’t help allowing my eyes to linger after where he had once stood.

          What did I do wrong? I kept asking myself, trying to find an answer but to no avail. I didn’t know what I had done wrong. Clearly Kelsey was a fan, a clingy one, and I truly did dislike her but after all, she was my fan… and most of the time, I never do neglect any of them.

          So how could I just leave Kelsey alone at a side, sobbing, while I went with my own girlfriend to be happy? I just can’t bear to see my own Angel being sad. I was just trying to be a good idol for someone.

          Kelsey stirred in her sleep, but my eyes didn’t avert to her. Instead, they slowly made their way towards a pair of cold, piercing blue ones that stung right through my own eyes. Alli looked probably half as pissed as a lion ready to hunt for food, and was currently looking at its prey, ready to claim it.

          I could see her jaws clenching from where I was sitting, and even though I had so many questions to ask her about Merinda’s sudden switch of moods, I decided to just remain quiet in case something worse happens. I wouldn’t want that.