Fourteen

Alli and I let out a huff of satisfaction as we leant back on the comfortable couch that’s made out of flannelette, like any other hotels in the world.

          I just like this material so much, it’s extremely comfortable.

          “Okay,” Alli perkily began after a few moments of silence, “the show last night was crazy and sadly it’s over, but it’s a new day; a new beginning, and we have a day in LA by ourselves before flying to Paris, so…”

          She leaned forward, propping her chin in the palms of both of her hands, giving me a better view of her bright blue eyes that were glistening with excitement―not to mention ‘I have a genius idea’ written across her face. “Wanna go shopping?”

          I nearly jumped out of my chair. With a light frown on my face.

          I mean―sure, I wanted to go shopping with Alli, but that’s not why I nearly bolted up from my seat; it’s not because of excitement―it’s because of the fear that was consuming me.

          No, it’s not because of my illness (that’s also still currently making me feel guilty about Cody and what happened yesterday. We haven’t spoken ever since, and it’s already the next day, and his agenda is full for the day, but I also have a feeling in my gut that tells me that he doesn’t want me speaking to him unless I’m ready to tell him the truth, and nothing but the truth, so I’m lost in confusion, to be honest) but it’s because of money.

          Of course I brought money.

          But as compared to the amount that Alli has, earned from modeling and all, I am as broke as someone homeless.

          And I’m really weighing slightly on the literal side. I think I brought five hundred dollars? But with that, I bet I could buy like only five clothes from the brand that Alli usually buys from, while she could get over ten with more amount of money.

          And if I’m going to spend all that I have just in this shopping spree, wow, I can just imagine Mom’s face. It wouldn’t be pleasure, no more, oh.

           “Uh, you could shop,” I stated, flashing her a small smile as I tried to think of the correct words to line up to say, “while I follow you around. That should work, shouldn’t it?”

          When I could sense her frown coming, I quickly added on to save my life. Thank God all these were the truth. “I hate spending money, besides, I’d probably buy them and never wear them which would be a waste of money.”

          Especially if I won’t be here any longer.

          I shook that thought away from my head as my heart began squirming at the harrowing realization that is back to hurt me, and cleared my throat, waiting for her to react.

          But like her brother, she knew something was wrong. Though, she just couldn’t, unlike Cody, figure out what the real deal is very quickly. Her frown is officially visible.

          “Are you sure, Mer? I really want to actually shop with you, rather than have you just following behind me. At least let me buy you like five things? That’s all. I like buying things for my close friends. Especially you―and I haven’t even bought you anything!”

          “I don’t need anything, Alli,” I assured her, making sure it didn’t sound like a direct rejection but I know it sure as heck sounded just like it, but. “But if you really want to, buy me one, and that’s enough. Please?”